Bus routes to avoid housing

metro_MM
University of Wisconsin community members file onto the route 80 bus outside of the Memorial Union. If Metro’s proposal is passed, the 80 would only operate once every 40 minutes past 9 p.m. and would be the only bus route servicing the Lakeshore area.[/media-credit]

Three late-night campus bus services will have different routes and stop times by next semester, ultimately resulting in less frequent service to the Lakeshore residence hall area, Madison Metro announced late last week.

Saferide routes 81 and 82 would be redrawn for the first time since the late 1990s to accommodate the shifts in campus housing patterns, said Margaret Bergamini, the bus pass coordinator for the Associated Students of Madison.

As a result, route 81 would no longer service Lakeshore, leaving route 80 as the area’s only late-night service provider. The 80 would run only every 40 minutes, compared to the current 15-minute cycle operated by route 81.

The Madison Metro Transit Planning Department, University of Wisconsin transportation service planners and ASM’s bus pass advisory committee have been meeting since late fall to redraw the routes, Bergamini said.

Madison Metro general manager Chuck Kamp said the three bodies meet on a periodic basis to review the 80 routes.

“Occasionally, that review will yield proposals to make adjustments to better serve the needs of students and others,” Kamp said. “That seemed to be the case this time.”

Bergamini said the groups generally aim to keep the headway, the time that elapses between buses, at less than 20 minutes.

“That’s what we were striving late at night, but we did not get that for the Lakeshore dorms,” Bergamini said. “We were trying to stay within the current budget but at the same time rearrange things so we could get more frequent service, and we didn’t succeed in all parts of campus.”

Bergamini said 40-minute headway for the 80 would begin at 9 p.m., with a 15-minute headway until that time for night service, which begins around 6:30 p.m. However, service during the day for the popular campus route would not change.

Bergamini said the headway for routes 81 and 82 would stay around 20 minutes with about a 5-minute increase for route 81 but a 10-minute decrease in wait time for route 82.

While route 80 would stay the same, the 81 and 82 would be redrawn to service more areas, Bergamini said.

The 81 loop from Observatory Drive to Linden Drive and back to the Memorial Union would be eliminated, according to renderings released by Madison Metro.

The route would still loop down East Gorham Street to Paterson Street but would extend slightly further south into the Mifflin neighborhood, including stops on West Washington Street, before looping back onto North Park Street toward Memorial Union.

Since route 81 will pick up route 82’s Mifflin loop, route 82 will now cruise past Breese Terrace down Old University Avenue and loop around the UW Hospital. The furthest east the route would extend is the Memorial Union.

The bus routes run about 30 minutes in total for late night service. Bergamini said the groups intended to use Memorial Union as a pseudo-transfer point if students needed to travel further than just one of the Saferide routes.

Metro Transit is holding a service input session Tuesday from 7 to 9 p.m. at Union South for students to provide their opinions and feedback before the plans are presented to the Transit and Parking Commission for approval in early June.