Madtown Crier: Spring semester preview, events to look forward to

Union concert series, student performance groups, more to watch for this spring
Abby Cima

College students all have limited time, so it’s important to make the most of the time we have and enjoy all Madison has to offer.

But, if you’re anything like me, you may not keep track of all the events happening around Madison. There’s just so much to do, and it’s hard to consolidate what is even worth attending.

Here’s a comprehensive guide to all the important, fun campus events you should know about this semester.

Themed Skate Nights at the Shell

The Shell has an ice skating rink with frequent open skate hours, and most weekends they host a themed skate night with themes like musicals, love songs and breakup songs. The next skate night is Saturday, Feb. 4, with a Musicals theme.

Winter Carnival

The Wisconsin Union is hosting its 83rd annual winter carnival from Feb. 6-11. The iconic inflatable Lady Liberty head, arm and torch will be on Lake Mendota for photoshoots. Throughout the week, the Union and Hoofers will host events like mini golf on ice, film showings, a scavenger hunt and will have various winter sports available.

Tony-Award-winning musical ‘Hadestown’ at Overture this week

The Overture Center

The Overture Center is a top tier performing arts center just a mile from campus which hosts Broadway performances, professional symphonies and famous musicians all semester long, and students should definitely take advantage of this space.

In fact, students who show up the day of most performances can get discounted student rush tickets to any available seat in the theater.

Last week, the Overture hosted a Tony award-winning musical, “Hadestown.” 

Other performances coming to the Overture this semester include a Harry Potter Concert and the musical “Jesus Christ Superstar” in February and a Children’s Theater of Madison performance of “Finder and the North Star” and the Broadway musical “Chicago” in March.

Union Concert Series

The Union has a concert series every year and and there are three coming up this semester.

Wind Quintet “Imani Winds” will be performing Feb. 5. Anthony McGill will solo with the UW Symphony Orchestra April 4, and the Danish String Quartet will be at the Union April 18.

The Sylvee

The Sylvee is a concert space located on the opposite side of the Capitol from campus. They host several concerts throughout the month. Landmark performers this semester include Sabrina Carpenter April 28 and Hippocampus May 23.

UW Theater Productions

The university theater department puts on several performances throughout the semester.

In February, they are performing “The Wolves,” which is about female athletes. They will perform “Fences” in March, a play about Troy Maxon, a Black man excluded from major baseball leagues. And in April, they will do Shakespeare’s “Macbeth.”

Badger Film Group to premier first feature-length film at Marquee

Student Performance Groups

Many student organizations have performances on campus.

There are many a cappella groups that host end-of-semester showcases, including Pitches and Notes, Fundamentally Sound, Under Arrest and the Mad Hatters.

Additionally, the different dance groups have end-of-the-year performances. Popular groups are Optima Dance, Premiere Dance and Dance Elite.

These performances are super fun and enjoyable because they are fully organized by the students in these groups. Dates often come up closer to the end of semester.

State Street Establishments

State Street Brats has trivia night every Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. Also on Wednesdays, Comedy on State has open mic night, and doors open at 7:30 p.m. Try alternating weeks between these events for entertainment every hump day.

Sookie’s Veggie Burgers hosts trivia nights on random Thursdays. They provide discounted drinks and free tots.

The Madison Museum of Contemporary Art also has a calendar of events, including temporary galleries and fashion events.

Lecture Series

The Center for Southeast Asian Studies hosts a weekly event called Friday Forum in Ingraham Hall. The three in February are on Asian languages and cultures and International Studies jobs.

The Center for Financial Security holds a Household Finance Research Seminar in Nancy Nicholas Hall every Thursday. Speakers cover topics like wealth and financial security for marginalized groups, financial inclusion and economic security.

Every Wednesday, Science Outreach on Campus hosts Wednesday Nite @ the Lab. They discuss different scientific topics each week. The first two in February are about global family planning and the evolutionary tree.

There are many more events not included here happening this semester around campus and in the city, so be sure to check out The Madtown Crier for more specific events each week.