Janet Protasiewicz wins Wisconsin Supreme Court race

Opponent Daniel Kelly concedes in most expensive state Supreme Court race in US history
Ahmad Hamid

Janet Protasiewicz won the Wisconsin Supreme Court race Tuesday night, according to the New York Times.

This marks the first time in 15 years the seven-member Wisconsin Supreme Court will have a liberal majority.

Protasiewicz, a liberal judge on the Milwaukee County Circuit Court, beat her opponent Daniel Kelly, a former state Supreme Court Justice. In his concession statement, Kelly refused to speak to his opponent on the phone, calling her campaign “dishonorable and despicable,” according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Issues such as the future of voting rights and fair maps in Wisconsin were critical in turning out voters to the polls. The issue most central to the race, though, was the future of abortion rights, according to the New York Times.

A lawsuit challenging the 1849 criminal abortion statute, which took effect when the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, is likely to reach the state Supreme Court soon. In her campaign, Protasiewicz promised to protect the right to an abortion and was endorsed by pro-abortion rights groups like Planned Parenthood and Emily’s List, while Kelly wrote in opposition of abortion in 2012 and was endorsed by anti-abortion rights groups like Wisconsin Right to Life and Pro-Life Wisconsin.

The court previously had a 4-3 conservative majority, according to NBC News. Protasiewicz will fill the seat conservative Justice Patience Roggensack, who is retiring, and serve a 10-year term on the court.

The race was the most expensive state Supreme Court race in U.S. history, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. In total, the race amassed more than $40 million spent by campaigns and third-party groups.

Protasiewicz delivered her winning remarks at Saint Kate hotel in Milwaukee Thursday night, according to an email statement from Janet for Justice. In her remarks, Protasiewicz thanked voters and promised to deliver fairness and impartiality while fulfilling her responsibilities as Supreme Court justice.

“You have entrusted me with great responsibility and I will treat this role with the highest degree of integrity,” Protasiewicz said. “I will bring the fairness and impartiality that you all have been waiting for. And I will be a part of the solution to make our Supreme Court something that you all feel proud of and protected by.”

At 7:14 a.m. April 5, Protasiewicz had the support of 55.5% of voters while Kelly had 44.5%, with over 95% of the votes counted.

Editor’s Note: This article was updated to include Protasiewicz’s winning remarks and will continue to be updated to include official race results once they are finalized.