Beat Connection leads mystical Friday night at Frequency

Openers Midas Bison, Phantom put audience into groovy trance, despite occasional technical difficulties
Cody Schwartz

Black walls, metal bar stools and sticker-covered walls housed three artists Friday night, including headliner Beat Connection. Each brought a different genre to the stage, and the collection of music made for a well-rounded evening.

The crowd was alternative: decked out in flannels, Doc Martens and black clothing. It was a singular, modern scene reminiscent of the grunge era.

Madison folk musicians to bring classic holiday tunes to Barrymore Theatre

For the first opener, the crowd was made up of only a handful of listeners. His name was paralleled to his style — out of the ordinary and slightly weird. He was Midas Bison, and his music was called gold-pop.

According to Bison’s bio, gold-pop is the “intersection of electronic prog, vulnerable anthems, indie college rock, psychedelic dance bangers, dream rap, shallow house and tender feels.”

Bison’s performance was raw; so raw that he had some technical difficulties. The first few songs were cut short due to that issue and he kept apologizing. Even so, he powered through and finished out the set after fixing the problem.

The second opener, Phantom, produced heavy dance beats, similar to Disclosure. 

They brought lots of energy to the show that appropriately prefaced Beat Connection: “Let’s fucking dance tonight; let’s do it.”

They had a mix of original songs and remixes. The crowd went wild when they remixed Fetty Wap as well as Arcade Fire. They closed with an original song called “Broken Halo,” which exemplified their sound.

On latest EP, Fetty Wap returns with pervading mediocrity, exhausted themes

The exhilaration grew even more when the headliner Beat Connection came on stage. By that time, it was after midnight, drinks were flowing and people were eager to continue the party.

Beat Connection consisted of four guys who offered an indie pop/alternative sound. They also had a synthesizer, which added an electric sound to their music.

The band started their set bringing a lot of energy, while still remaining relaxed. Their songs were a mix of chill tunes and hoppy beats. The vocalist had a smooth voice with a yearning tone and a mix of emotions.

Beat Connection unexpectedly thrived in their sick transitions, which kept the audience on their toes and dancing.

Hitlist: Twisted bubblegum pop

The vibes from this “underground” scene and the combination of the three bands led to a mystical night filled with good moves and groove, despite technical difficulties.

A new genre seemed to be born, and the audience was awakened to this psychedelic sound in addition to the familiar dance and indie sound, likely to leave everyone danced out and happy by the end.