Man arrested for burglary

The Madison Police Department arrested a suspect in connection to an apartment burglary Friday morning.

Jai D. Patterson, 26, of Madison was charged in the case with burglary and possession of heroin, as well as felony bail jumping and a warrant-causing injury while OWI, according to an MPD statement.

The report said neighbors observed the suspect entering an apartment on 1011 Fahrenbrook Ct. and removing a backpack while residents were asleep.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said a K-9 track was conducted, and the dogs picked up the suspect’s scent and detected the odor of drugs in a van nearby, which belonged to the suspect.

DeSpain said the suspect admitted to being a heroin addict and to breaking into the apartment after he was caught attempting to leave the area by an MPD sergeant.

The backpack the suspect stole belonged to University of Wisconsin students and contained books, calculators and other school items, DeSpain said. He said the suspect’s plan was to trade the backpack for heroin.

“There are a lot of burglaries on this street,” DeSpain said. “I’m glad we got him.”

The suspect was also out on bail for a previous charge and was ordered not to possess or use drugs, DeSpain said. There was also a warrant for Patterson’s arrest for an OWI in Sauk County, he added.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said he was pleased the suspect was found quickly. He said the students did the right thing by calling police immediately when they noticed the suspect breaking into the apartments.

Resnick said the officers’ decision to use the K-9 unit to catch the suspect was extremely helpful.

“I would say every single person in the situation took the correct action to catch the suspect,” Resnick said.

Resnick said heroin and opiate use remain a serious issue in Madison. He said usage is not common by students, but by other people in the city.

He said the City of Madison has implemented major efforts in the past year to stop the use of heroin and is aiming to decrease the amount of crime associated with it.

Resnick said the College Court area is a prime target for suspects to try to steal from students due to the screened doors on the first floor of apartments. However, he said compared to the national average of burglaries on college campuses, the area is still relatively safe.