Part of Langdon Street closed for Memorial Union construction

Herald archives

The 800 block of Langdon Street, where the Memorial Union is located, closed Tuesday for construction work expected to last until November.

The stretch of Langdon Street between N. Park Street and N. Lake Street will be closed to traffic for the project’s duration. The work is part of the second phase of renovations and changes to Memorial Union, director of Campus Planning and Landscape Architecture Gary Brown said.

The construction will replace a utility tunnel and raise the middle of Langdon Street. Brown said upgrading utilities crossing Langdon Street is necessary before the next phase of the Memorial Union project is fully underway.

All buses will be rerouted around Langdon Street until construction there is completed. Brown said during the project, campus bus route 80 will run from N. Lake Street and turn left on University Avenue, then take a right on N. Park Street, bypassing Langdon.

The Memorial Union will remain open for summer, but the Terrace is scheduled to close in early September for the renovation.

People, the Terrace will have chairs this year, they are just going away a little earlier