Wisconsin GOP chairman voices support for Trump during impeachment trial

GOP chairman says Republicans largely agree on supporting Trump through impeachment

· Feb 10, 2021 Tweet

Pro-Trump crowd at Capitol after 2020 presidential election results
Arushi Gupta/The Badger Herald

Tuesday, Wisconsin Republican Party chairman Andrew Hitt voiced his support for former President Donald Trump during impeachment as the U.S. Senate began their trial. 

Hitt said though Republicans are relatively divided nationwide, they largely agree on supporting Trump through the impeachment, according to WiscNews.

According to WiscNews, Hitt condemned the violence at the capitol insurrection Jan. 6, but still believes Trump should not be impeached.

The focal points of the trial have included Trump’s claims about election fraud, the constitutionality of putting a former president under trial and the capitol insurrection, according to the New York Times.

Conservative group drops lawsuit about election voter fraud in WisconsinA conservative group dropped their lawsuit alleging voter fraud in the 2020 election in Wisconsin after their leader questioned the Read…

Wednesday, House Democrats delivered arguments for convicting the former president, saying Trump told his supporters to “fight like hell” in regards to his loss in the election, according to the New York Times. 

The Democrats would need 17 Republicans to side with them to get the two-thirds vote needed to convict Trump.

Wisconsin State Legislature sees record number of female lawmakersIn 2021, Wisconsin elected the highest number of female lawmakers to its state legislature in history. According to the Rutgers Read…

An acquittal would be a win for the Republicans, but the New York Times reports it expects far-right Republicans will still criticize those in their party who turned against them.

Even so, Hitt and other Republicans around the country continue to support Trump throughout the impeachment process, according to WiscNews.

Tweet

This article was published Feb 10, 2021 at 5:25 pm and last updated Feb 10, 2021 at 7:58 pm

Comments

UW-Madison's Premier Independent Student Newspaper

All Content © The Badger Herald, 1995 - 2024