UW announces tech competition

University of Wisconsin students have the chance to win thousands of dollars through a new competition sponsored by the College of Engineering and School of Business, to create their own wireless technology and business plan to execute their prototype.

The goal of the competition is to generate a new and innovating idea, John Booske, chair of the department of computer and electrical engineering, said.

The contest will also enable students to gain a competitive edge among their peers, which hopefully will attract potential employers, he said.

“The real purpose is to give the opportunity for students to learn something about inventing and developing ideas and products, and at the same time express creative energies in the domain of wireless technology,” Booske said.

Students from across campus can enter the contest, whether they are undergraduates or graduates, Booske added.

There is no limit to the number of people or groups that can enter the competition, Booske said. Submissions will be evaluated by a panel of judges based on specific criteria that will be unveiled at the information sessions held throughout the month of September, with the contest taking place on April 28, 2011.

Three sessions in total will be held to prepare students for the competition, Booske said. These sessions are known as “Ideafests” where the details and logistics of the competitions will be introduced.

“[The competition] is an amazing real world experience that is priceless, and if they happen to win a prize, well that is the icing on the cake,” Booske said.

Booske expressed his enthusiasm toward this groundbreaking challenge, stating opportunities to explore the technological world range from wireless applications to healthcare products.

Qualcomm Inc., a San Diego-based company dedicated to expanding wireless technology, is financially supporting the competition, Booske said.

Because of the company’s support, entrants are eligible to receive prizes up to $10,000 for first place, with second and third place earning $5,000 and $2,500.

Although the impressive prizes may lure competitors in, Booske said the experience would give students a sense of accomplishment regardless of the outcome.

“You will win no matter what you do,” he said. “You will come out learning some very important skills.”

The School of Business also plays a role in the competition, according to John Surdyk, a professor in the school.

Undergraduate and graduate students that have achieved unique prototypes for the Qualcomm competition can create a business plan and present it to another panel of judges on April 29, 2011. Surdyk said this is seen as a separate contest, but it is still open to all participants of the Qualcomm event, regardless of who wins.

Surdyk said the collaboration between the College of Engineering and the School of Business is unlike any other contest at UW.

“Having these tight linkages can help meet the needs of students who are interested in technology and want to get a business plan going as well,” Surdyk said. “We have been working with engineering for months and it is exciting to finally have it all come together.”