Officials urge students to take safety, health precautions for spring break

The University of Wisconsin and state health administrators are advising students to not lose sight of good health and safety habits during spring break vacation and relaxation.

Officials said one potential concern is the H1N1 virus. Tom Haupt, influenza coordinator at the Wisconsin Department of Health, said while the hope is another wave of the flu will not hit, the chances are 50/50, and spring break could be the catalyst.

The biggest concern, Haupt said, is college students around the state will be traveling, potentially triggering another outbreak.

Originally confirmed in the U.S. in April 2009, the number of cases went down over the summer only to go back up dramatically when students returned to campus in the fall.

In Wisconsin, more than 2,300 cases were diagnosed in November alone. Since then, the number of cases has significantly dropped — only 291 were reported in December, and another 112 between January and mid-March, according to a statement from DHS.

However, DHS is not taking the H1N1 virus lightly. Haupt said DHS is doing everything necessary to prepare for a potential wave of cases.

According to Haupt, with the first and second wave of the H1N1 flu in April and September, DHS has learned a lot and is better prepared for the future.

As far as advice for students goes, Haupt advised people to continue to be vaccinated.

Gerald Ryan, director of Clinical Studies at University Health Services, also had helpful insight into student health and safety before break.

Ryan said most of the potential problems students face during break are due to lifestyle choices. He stressed risks such as assault become a concern when students are vulnerable and in unknown or unfamiliar places. This vulnerability can be compounded by intoxication and can be dangerous for students, especially women.

Cindy Haq, director of the University of Wisconsin Center for Global Health, suggested it would be wise to check the Center for Disease Control website before traveling to locations abroad.

“Think of where you are going, and plan accordingly,” Ryan said.

Haq said students should be mindful of their alcohol consumption limits while on break.

Ryan said the lifestyle choices that go along with spring break bring social pressures to drink. The pressure to be wild and crazy has intensified, and students who are usually responsible on campus might let loose.

Students should keep safety in mind and be aware of potential health risks associated with drinking, drugs, sexual activity and other behaviors, Ryan said.

Haq also added though the weather is nicer than it has been in months, students should be cautious of throwing themselves back into physical activities outside. He advised to get back into it gradually rather than all at once to avoid any unnecessary physical stress.