Madtown Hopper adds new vehicles to its bedazzled fleet

Hopper to offer three times as many rides
Joey Reuteman

Drunken street wanderers can rejoice — the late-night ride service Madtown Hopper announced Thursday a two-vehicle expansion to their fleet.

Amir Morning, founder of Madtown Hopper, recently announced the expansion of his company with a new two-year sponsorship commitment from the Hub Madison. Initially, the two companies held a five-month contract which sponsored the operation of one vehicle. The expansion consists of the revamping of the original vehicle, as well as two additional electric cars.

Robin Hood on four wheels: one night aboard the Madtown Hopper

Madtown Hopper launched its plan to offer free rides to University of Wisconsin students and anyone in need of a lift home in May 2014. The basis of their service is to extend safe and reliable rides to the Madison community.

Accompanied by neon lights and loud, upbeat music, the electric cars zip up and down State Street through the late night and early hours of the morning. Madtown Hopper sees high demand for rides, evidenced by long lines each night and the 3,000 free rides given a month, according to the Hopper’s Facebook page.

“The Hub has realized the value of giving free rides to students downtown, and they want to be as much a part of the university community as possible,” Morning said. “They have truly made this expansion possible.”

As a free service, Madtown Hopper relies on sponsorships and advertising to operate their vehicles. Morning said in the future, he hopes to gain more sponsors who understand his company’s mission and desire to be a beneficial part of the university community.

The continued partnership with the Hub will allow Madtown Hopper to give back, while also recognizing their commitment to student activities and safety, Morning said.

The city has been very supportive of Morning and his service, as well as the companies that sponsor him, Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said.

Verveer said Madtown Hopper helps to reduce drunken driving and biking, and gives people a form of transportation that does not empty their pockets.

“I think there’s no denying that the Hopper provides a unique service,” Verveer said. “In my book it’s a ‘class-A’ service that students and all others are able to depend on, so it’s no surprise that an expansion is certainly in demand.”

The only complaint Verveer has heard about Madtown Hopper was from UW Police Department, who thought the music played on the vehicle was too loud.

In addition to being a safe, free ride, the Hopper leaves a positive environmental footprint. The electric cars are pollution free, unlike cabs and other popular services, such as Uber or Lyft, Verveer said.

The expansion of Madtown Hopper, Verveer said, is positive in many dimensions, especially considering the community’s enjoyment of the free-ride service.

“Amir has given his vibrant personality, and he’s very popular with his passengers,” Veveer said.
“The fact that he doesn’t even request gratuity says a lot about him as a person. He provides a great service and truly loves it, and everyone seems to love him.”