MPD holds news conference to promote public awareness, seek information on bike path assault

MPD releases sketch of person of interest
Anne Blackbourn

As Madison Police Department continues to search for a suspect involved in a sexual assault Saturday, Sept. 12, they’ve been employing all of their resources, including the eyes of the public.

MPD Chief of Police Mike Koval at a news conference Tuesday afternoon, Sept. 15, said information provided by the public allowed police to identify a person of interest in Saturday’s “heinous” attack.

Following ‘diabolical’ sexual assault, community members plan march in a show of solidarity

MPD is currently investigating the incident as an attempted homicide due to the nature of the attack.

“This is about as heinous an act you will find —the extent of her injuries, the sheer intensity of the act and the seemingly disregard for her as a human being,” Koval said. “It is why it has been categorized as an attempted homicide as an inclusion charge of a serious sexual assault.”

Sketch artist’s rendition of person of interest. A.Blackbourn

Recently, Koval said a citizen heard MPD’s plea for information to aid the investigation and provided a sketch of a passerby near the area the night of the attack, Koval said.

MPD described the person of interest as Latino or light-skinned black male with brown eyes and approximately 25 years old. He is about 5-foot-7 with an average build, prominent cheek bones and slightly sunken eyes. He also has patchy beard growth. The suspect was last seen wearing a baggy hoodie and blue jeans.

“Though we are looking into the person of interest, it important to emphasize the fact that person of interest is not a person that has been accused of anything — we are just going to follow up on them,” Koval said.

Koval also said MPD has opened a special landline for people with information about the person of interest or any additional information regarding the bike path assault. MPD detectives will follow up on any information no matter how benign it may be, Koval said.

Chief Koval answers questions at Tuesday’s news conference. A.Blackbourn

MPD plans to also attend the Take Back the Bike Path event planned for this Thursday, Sept. 17, to help keep traffic flowing and ensure the success of the rally, Koval said.

Koval said events like the Take Back the Bike Path help create discussion about safety and potential victims. Koval said having such events in the community helps create a greater sense of awareness.

MPD thanked the citizens of Madison for their help and support in providing information. Koval also again emphasized Madison’s usually safe environment.

“Madison is one of the safest cities per capita that you are going to find,” Koval said. “We pride ourselves on those safety measures, and the community has been incredibly helpful trusting partners in telling police in real time of events.”