Following ‘diabolical’ sexual assault, community members plan march in a show of solidarity

With demonstration set for Thursday, Sept. 17, MPD spokesperson says finding suspect is ‘priority number one’ for department
Joey Reuteman

While police continue to identify the suspect behind a violent sexual assault that occurred last Saturday, the community response and support have been strong.

More than 1,000 Madison community members plan to come together in support of a victim of sexual assault with a march on the Capital City Trail bike path. A student feminist organization said the response has been admirable.

Madison Police Department Chief Mike Koval said the victim, a 33-year-old female, was attacked from behind before being strangled, beaten and sexually assaulted. The attack occurred between midnight and 12:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 12, according to an incident report.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the victim currently remains hospitalized.

“The victim was attacked by someone who is a very diabolical person,” DeSpain said.

He also said MPD is analyzing forensic evidence and asking for any information citizens may have in order to find the assailant.

“We have a team of detectives and a team of forensic folk working on the case. It’s priority number one to try and identify who this person is,” DeSpain said.

Suspect at large following sexual assault on capital bike path

As the investigation continues, community response has been overwhelmingly supportive.

Manjari Ojha, a spokesperson for the University of Wisconsin chapter of the National Organization for Women, said while the incident was unbelievable and frightening, the quick response from the community has been impressive.

Ojha pointed to the planned Take Back the Bike Path event as an example of community support.

Ojha said while it is good that the community is talking about the issue of sexual assault, it’s important to remember that incidents such as these are rare. She said the vast majority of sexual assaults occur between parties that know each other prior to the incident.

DeSpain said MPD continues to scour surveillance footage from surrounding areas and he reminds residents to remain vigilant at night and travel in groups when possible.

Ojha said overall the sexual assault climate at UW, especially among women, is definitely improving.

“This improvement is reflected in the notifications we receive, although it may seem like they are increasing, I’d like to think it’s actually because people are more comfortable and understand the resources they have to report incidents,” Ojha said.