Kabul thrives following summer relocation

Although construction of The Hub cost Kabul Restaurant its streetside location on State Street, owner Hamed Zafari said he is making things work.

Zafari said despite the unexpected relocation of his Afghani-Mediterranean restaurant to an upstairs space across the street, he has added a full bar and other new features that are bringing customers back to the beloved Madison spot.

The restaurant has been on State Street for 25 years, but was forced to relocate after its original location under University Inn was torn down last spring in order to build The Hub.

The new location is larger and has new features like a full bar, something that Zafari said he has always wanted. He also said he wants to add late-night menus and bring live music in on the weekends.

One month into the semester and Kabul is still finding success in its new second-floor spot above candy store IT’SUGAR. Zafari said he would have preferred to be on the first floor due to foot traffic on State Street, but said it has not affected business too much.

“People are still finding us because they missed Kabul. They’re going out of their way, they’re doing whatever they have to do to find it,” he said. “We’ve had a tremendous amount of support, a lot of people have come back and expressed how happy they are that we are open again.”

The restaurant had the option to stay in the previous location, but Zafari said they would have had to wait two years to reopen with doubled rent. Zafari said the restaurant would not be able to survive a change like that without increasing prices significantly.

Zafari said staying near campus was important to him because of all the students and faculty that come in.

“We were scrambling to find a space, and I really wanted to stay close to campus,” he said. “I didn’t see myself moving too far away, or going to the Square even. Professors and students have limited time, and I know they wouldn’t walk all the way to the square, they just don’t have the time.”

Zafari described the construction process as a “nightmare,” spending almost double what they intended to, but he is happy with the new location.

They had a lot of challenges with city building permits and bringing the old wiring and plumbing up to code, he said.

“It’s just good to be open now. It did cost a lot, a lot more than we thought. But I feel like if quality of the food is there and the service is good people will come back,” he said.

The restaurant is now offering deals on the “Hooked” app, which features different deals at different times of the day, another feature that Zafari hopes will continue to bring in students.

“I know students have a limited budget, and I really want to get students in here and get them to try,” he said.

The restaurant has time to settle into the new location, as they have just signed a five year lease.

Zafari said he always looks forward to getting to know new customers.

“Every day I try to make contact with every customer that comes in,” Zafari said. “It really makes me happy.”