Mayor advocates for early voting

Mayor Paul Soglin held a press conference Wednesday afternoon to promote early and absentee voting in the 2012 presidential election, as well as the importance of voting in the city of Madison.

Soglin said this year’s early voting numbers have far surpassed the 2008 election’s in terms of total ballots the city has received. He added city officials are currently receiving ballots at an average of 2.8 per minute.

As of 12 p.m. Wednesday, the city had already received 13,000 early vote ballots, which at the current rate would far exceed last election’s total of 13,479 by the end of the day, Soglin said.

Soglin said the total number of absentee ballots received by the city thus far is 20,257, which will also exceed the 2008 election’s total of 23,481.

Despite the increase in early voter turnout, Soglin said some people who intended on voting left to avoid the wait as a result of long lines. He added he is hopeful those voters will come back for regular voting next Tuesday.

Soglin said he also hopes to see the highest percentage of voter turnout in the history of the city of Madison.

“I’m hoping we as a city can break all expectations and records in regard to turnout,” Soglin said. “We can demonstrate how great our city, state and nation is.”

On Election Day, Soglin said voters should be prepared to wait up to a couple of hours to cast their ballot. He said those who show up early in the morning, around noon and between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. could expect to wait the longest amount of time.

Soglin said no matter the amount of time it may take to vote, he asks people to stay and vote regardless, as each individual’s voice is important.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said he was pleased with the voter turnout so far in this year’s election.

“I’m absolutely thrilled with it,” Resnick said. “It’s the city’s role to participate and it doesn’t matter who you vote for, as long you are voting – every ballot counts.”

Resnick said every student should get out to vote, as Wisconsin is a swing state in this year’s election, a reason Wisconsin has seen many presidential visits over the past couple of months. 

He said this year’s presidential election winner could win by as few as 5000 votes, so its extremely important for students to head to the polls regardless of long lines.

Voting lines are expected to be longer at places like Memorial Union or Gordon Commons, Resnick said.

People who are already registered to vote at their current residence in the city of Madison will not be required to show identification to vote, Soglin said. Those who are voting for the first time must provide proof of their address by bringing documents such as a license, lease or utility payment. Such proof of residence may also be shown electronically on a smart phone.

Soglin said those interested in more information about voting in the 2012 presidential election should go online at myvote.wi.gov or cityofmadison.com/clerk.