Associated Students of Madison pledges university support for ‘Stop Cop City’ movement

ASM stands in solidarity with four Madison residents charged in Atlanta
Elliot Moormann

The Associated Students of Madison Student Council met Wednesday to hear and vote on the passing of legislation proposed by University of Wisconsin students.

The council heard a proposal for the university’s solidarity with the “Stop Cop City” movement, given by Sustainability Chair Christina Treacy. In the presentation, Treacy called on the university to stand in solidarity with four Madison residents charged by Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr after their protests against a planned construction of the nation’s largest police training center in the Atlanta forest.

According to second-year UW student and co-founder of NGO Peace In the Park Quinn Henneger, the construction of the training facilities could be dangerous, and they stated the project sets a dangerous precedent for other police departments around the country. Henneger also revealed they have been in contact with two of those who had traveled to Atlanta for the arraignment, one of whom had posted bond earlier in the day with the aid of local Atlanta organization, the Atlanta Solidarity Fund.

The Council voted on the legislation with a 12-1 vote, with four abstentions.

The Council also unanimously approved Grant Allocation Committee Chair Amaya Bowman’s proposal to provide $4,000 in grants for various student organizations, including an approval for the Model UN, which has an upcoming trip.

SAC Governing Board Chair Ethan Park proposed the creation of a feedback form for those in attendance at the meeting, which will be voted on at a later date.

The next ASM Student Council meeting is Nov. 29.

Editor’s note: This article was updated Nov. 29 to reflect the preferred pronouns of  Quinn Henneger.