University Affairs discusses halting efforts to make Wiscard eligible form of voting ID

Committee talks about attempting to amend bill after state reelections
Anne Blackbourn

After originally making plans to petition changes to Wiscards, a student government committee discussed whether they should focus on getting students registered to vote instead.

Last meeting, the Associated Students of Madison University Affairs committee made plans to petition University of Wisconsin to change the Wiscard to have two-year expiration dates and a space for a signature.

But last Tuesday, the state Assembly passed a bill that would allow for online voting registration, but would get rid of the special registration deputy position.

UW students ‘black out’ Capitol in protest of online voting registration bill passed by Assembly

Chair Sally Rohrer said if they wanted to make the Wiscard a valid voter ID they would have to add addresses to them and then have them re-approved by the Government Accountability Board to make sure they followed voting ID requirements.

Rohrer said while the university is issuing voter ID cards, it would be easier for students to get voter ID eligible Wiscards at orientation instead.

Rep. Rachel Wilda said the committee should not focus on changing the Wiscard but on voting registration because it is a more pressing issue.

Rohrer said in response to the bill passage the committee should consider new ways to make voting on campus easier.

Several representatives said the best option was to look into adding an address to the current voter ID UW is issuing while other representatives asked if it was possible for people registering online to verify their addresses.

Rohrer said they would have to propose an amendment to the bill in order to make the ID form eligible.

“As it is, it’s pretty dry; there aren’t really any loopholes as to how you can register if you don’t have a driver’s license or state-issued ID,” Rohrer said.

Wilda said the committee should focus on getting the bill amended to include the special registration deputy position.

Rohrer said their plans may depend on the upcoming re-election of state legislators. The bill was passed with Republican support and was voted against by Democrats. Re-elections could shift the majority in the Assembly.

Rohrer said the Associated Students of Madison is currently discussing the possibility of having ASM students help other students register to vote if they go home over the summer.

There are several possibilities the committee has to consider going forward, Rohrer said.