Student activists meet with President Ray Cross in effort to improve racial climate on UW campuses

Both sides are working toward more racial inclusiveness in UW System schools
Katie Huber

A Republican legislator’s discouragement will not impede conversations about diversity and inclusiveness at University of Wisconsin, Kenneth Cole, leader of the UW Black-Out Movement, said.

UW System President Ray Cross met with a group of UW students Thursday to address concerns about the racial environment on campuses across the state. According to a statement released by the United Council of Students, Cross committed to apologizing publicly for the “institutional harms disparately impacting students of color.”

UW System spokesperson Alex Hummel said it’s inaccurate to call Cross’ commitment an apology because he is only considering how best to address concerns that students brought forward.

Besides asking system officials to acknowledge the failure of campus diversity progress, United Council proposed a list of other demands for the UW System to address. It asked the system to create courses to promote comprehensive racial awareness in all 26 UW schools. 

Hummel said the meeting brought attention to problems that UW System officials were concerned about even before the meeting, so it was a good place to begin dialogue.

“There are goals in the past that we set forth for greater diversity and inclusivity on our campus that we’ve fallen short on, and I think [Cross is] committed to working with students and actually asking them for help, so that we can make sure we actually hit those goals that we’ve made in the past,” Hummel said.

In a Facebook post on Martin Luther King Day, Cross said the UW System is “steadfast in its efforts to close achievement gaps between white students and students of color.”  

Sen. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, said in a statement that Cross is wasting time with students for political correctness.

“By promising to issue an official apology for understanding charges of racial injustice, he further damages the system’s already tattered credibility with the public and further divides the citizens of this state,” Nass said.

Cole, who was at the meeting with Cross, said there will always be people who are not sympathetic to their cause.

“I think his statement comes from a place of ignorance,” Cole said. “He doesn’t really understand the cultural tide on the campus of UW and the ways in which our movement can actually benefit UW.”

Cole works with United Council and the Wisconsin Black Student Union to improve the experiences of underrepresented students.

The mission of student activists like him, Cole said, is to get more people on board with improving social justice on campuses across the state. Moving forward, they would like to converse with Regent Regina Millner and speak at a Board of Regents meeting on behalf of students of color.

“With President Cross’ endorsement of our demands, our goals and what we’re fighting for, I think we have moved a step into the right direction,” Cole said.“Do I think it’s the last step or do I think it’s anywhere near finished? No way.”