Spooky SSFC holds budget hearing, approves Working Class Student Union budget

Committee tabled long debated auxiliary fund for next meeting
Anne Blackbourn

Student Service Finance Committee’s meeting was scarier than usual as committee members donned their Halloween costumes while they listened to Campus Women’s Center budget proposal, approved of Working Class Student Union’s budget and discussed segregated fee changes.

Campus Women’s Center

The Campus Women’s Center presented its budget for the 2017 fiscal year to SSFC members.

CWC budget presentation
Anne Blackbourn/The Badger Herald

The center provides safe sex supplies, resource library information and materials about child care support.

CWC Financial Coordinator Kyle Brown said their organization also has multiple workshops, discussion groups, speaker events and programs for child care.

CWC asked for a 2017 fiscal budget of $55,093.75, almost $18,000 more than their 2015 fiscal budget.

Brown said the increase in funds for the new budget was due in part to the fact many employees didn’t work their full hours and one coordinator didn’t properly log their hours, creating a discrepancy in their budget.

Additional money will also be needed to fund a new program CWC is starting this year called Girls Empowered, Nicole Rudisill, CWC family resources coordinator, said.

The new program will provide peer mentorship for collegiate women. Groups will meet once a week to discuss issues of body image, empowerment and self-care methods, Rudisill said. 

SSFC will make a decision about CWC’s budget at their next meeting Monday.

Working Class Student Union

Prior to listening to CWC budget hearing, SSFC approved Working Class Student Union’s budget proposal.

WCSU is a student organization that supports first-generation college students, working class students and tries to emphasize importance of recognizing class diversity, according to an SSFC statement.

WCSU proposed a budget for $56,618.

SSFC debates, approves PAVE’s budget request

Rep. Erin Harper asked to increase the hourly wage budget from $10.50 to $11, with an overall increase to $97.50. The change was approved to ensure a payment discrepancy between summer hours and school hours.

Vice Chair Brett Ducharme said he wanted to wait before approving the budget due to a discrepancy he found in one budget lines.

SSFC members, however, decided to make a vote on the budget, despite Ducharme’s concerns.

In a 5-1 vote with one abstain, WCSU’s budget was approved for $56,715.50.

Segregated fees

SSFC briefly discussed UW System President Ray Cross’ decision to create a task force to deal with changes to segregated fees.

SSFC Chair Thuy Pham said there hasn’t been much information released about the committee, but SSFC will keep an eye on it and changes to segregated fees. She said each school in the UW System are going to be represented on the committee.

SSFC had planned to discuss and vote on the proposed plan for the auxiliary fund. But the plan was tabled for SSFC’s next meeting due to the lack of members in attendance.

SSFC will meet next Monday, Nov. 1.