UW Fan Advisory Council to hold first meeting

In an effort to foster discourse between Badger fans and University of Wisconsin officials about game days, the Athletic Department is collaborating with the first Fan Advisory Council, set to have its first meeting Monday.

The fan council was created in an effort to improve communication with game day attendees, a UW athletics statement said. The Athletic Board named the members of the first council last week, made up of 25 members picked out of 800 applicants. The members include alums and non-alums, locals and out-of-state, people who have held season tickets for many years and new season ticket holders, as well as two students, the statement said.

The fan council will provide an opportunity for season ticket holders to provide suggestions and ask questions about possible concerns, the statement said. The council is scheduled to meet three times before a new council is chosen, the statement said.

Nancy Hilton, one of the members of the fan council, said she was surprised she made the cut onto the committee, but is excited to get to work. Hilton has been a football season ticket holder for about 35 to 40 years, and she said she feels she can offer a great perspective since she is older and has attended games for many years.

Hilton said she returns to Badger football games every year because she is a huge football fan and it is part of her fall entertainment. As a member of the Madison community, supporting the university is very important, she said.

Hilton said she wanted to be a member of the council because she strongly believes it is important for the fans to have a say. Hilton said she is anxious to see and be a part of what the Athletic Department has planned for the future.

“Founding the council is a step in the right direction, as the majority of season ticket holders bring in a lot of money to the university,” Hilton said. “So it is extremely important that our voice is heard.”