Bousquet to return to UW French and Italian department

A University of Wisconsin dean of international studies and vice provost for globalization, Gilles Bousquet, will return to campus after serving as UW-Eau Claire’s interim chancellor for the previous academic year.

Bousquet will complete his sabbatical during the 2013-14 academic year before rejoining UW’s Department of French and Italian, according to a UW statement.

One of the first jobs Bousquet said he what he hopes to accomplish upon his return to Madison is to collect information on what the various universities in the UW System have in common.

“I hope to facilitate collaboration between UW System campuses in student recruitment, study abroad opportunities and anything else to enhance the campuses’ economic development,” Bousquet said. “We educate students with a broader frame of reference and knowledge.”

Bousquet added he would also like to find ways Wisconsin can promote and support global and economic health.

UW System President Kevin Reilly said in the statement he is “appreciative” of Bousquet’s support for the System.

“I look forward to Gilles helping the rest of the System campuses identify and collaborate on international initiatives,” Reilly said in the statement.

Bousquet aided in building connections between UW-Madison and China and helped establish UW’s Innovation Center in Shanghai, the statement said. He said it was good for him to represent a campus other than Madison, because to succeed in China or anywhere else in the world, the collaboration of all the campuses is necessary.

Interim Chancellor David Ward said in the statement Bousquet is a leader in terms of international engagement.

“For many years, Gilles has led UW-Madison’s internationalization efforts, particularly in the areas of collaboration and curricular innovation,” Ward said. “We look forward to welcoming him back to campus.”

Bousquet said he focused his tenure on the areas of economic development and how a liberal arts institution contributes to that, international perspective provided to the campus through his work in China and aiding UW-Eau Claire in establishing its standing on the national and world scale.

“I have a different view of higher education in Wisconsin due to this experience,” Bousquet said.

Bousquet said he wants to make sure the universities are building bridges for their students for jobs and future opportunities after graduation. He added he is looking forward to coming back to Madison and keeping in touch with UW-Eau Claire.