Journalist receives ethics award

The University of Wisconsin Center of Journalism Ethics will honor Milwaukee Journal Sentinel health and science reporter Mark Johnson with the Anthony Shadid Award for Journalism Ethics at a conference Friday. The Badger Herald spoke with Johnson about the award and his experiences in journalism. 

We have edited the interview for clarity and brevity.

The Badger Herald: What was your initial reaction to being honored with the Anthony Shadid ethics award?

Mark Johnson: To be perfectly honest, I really admired Anthony Shadid’s work from afar, so I felt a little awkward to have my name associated with his because I do not kid myself: I am not in his league. But, I was very honored.

BH: What from your career history do you think prompted your nomination and win of the Anthony Shadid ethics award?

MJ: I did not know I was nominated, to be honest, until I got the email saying that I had won. I would just say that my editor, [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel editor Martin Kaiser], who has worked closely with me on a lot of different stories, is a very hands-on editor. So I guess it is some of the conversations we have had over the years.

BH: Seeing as how the award is for journalism ethics, why is it important for a journalist to strive to be ethical and how would you say you satisfy that requirement?

MJ: It does not matter how good the stories we tell are; they crumble if there is no ethical foundation to hold them up. Virtually every reporter that I have ever met has had some incident early on when they realized the power of putting something in the newspaper. It makes a difference to people’s lives; it affects people. But maybe for my career, I can say that I have done it long enough that I have been able to learn from my mistakes and I have been able to learn more and more how to do it fairly and without hurting people as much as possible.

BH: The committee selected you unanimously to receive this award, how would you respond to that?

MJ: I really thank the committee for their decision. I am completely humbled by it. Wisconsin is a very, very good state to be a journalist in. It means a lot that the committee found something of value in the way I do my work. That is very heartening and gives me a good feeling going forward, because I want to be a journalist for a lot longer.

BH: What would you say this means for your career as a journalist?

MJ: Right now, I work in kind of a dream job. I really like the place that I work, and I have a lot of respect for the paper. It is very easy to get down on your work and find the flaws. When a story comes out, I think of all the things I wish I had done. I guess this makes me feel like my bosses here have faith that I do things with a sense of decency.

BH: Do you have anything else to add?

MJ: I am especially lucky because my wife is a long-time reporter as well, and I have had the luxury of talking through ethical situations with her. She has this extraordinary ability to be very clear-thinking about sort of difficult, muddy issues.