Students, higher education expert weigh Blank’s economic background

For many on campus, Rebecca Blank, acting U.S. Secretary of Commerce, was an economically-focused choice for the University of Wisconsin’s chancellor recommendation, an angle that has raised some concern for the future of the university.

After 13 members of UW’s Associated Students of Madison released their endorsement for chancellor finalist Michael Schill, University of Chicago Law School dean and professor, late last week, UW System President Kevin Reilly announced the special committee’s recommendation of Blank for the position Monday.

Sarah Mathews, UW senior and Wisconsin Union President, said such a difference in selection shows a “degree of disconnect between what the students want and what the administration wants.”

“As a student, I did not hear endorsement for anyone except for Schill,” Mathews said. “I thought it was an interesting choice.”

Schill, Mathews said, may have been seen to be too “high risk, high reward” for the administration, adding that Blank was the “safer choice.”

Many, including Reilly and UW System spokesperson David Giroux, attributed the selection to Blank’s expansive economic background, adding they they hope her experience would show results in Wisconsin’s economy.

Blank, who visited campus last week, said that her first priority as chancellor would be to balance UW’s budget. She added that although she promotes UW’s accessibility, she is not opposed to raising out-of-state tuition.

However, according to UW professor of higher education Clifton Conrad, who finds Blank to be “very sensitive to money and financing,” UW should be very wary of “using tuition as a major vehicle” in response to reduced state funding.

“[Tuition] cannot be the epicentre of moving to a more private model,” Conrad said. “Lets not close that gap.”

As a national university, UW thrives from having people from other states and around the world, Conrad said, expressing his mixed feelings about transforming the university into a “quasi-public” institution.

ASM Chair Andrew Bulovsky released a statement serving as the summation of students’ impressions and showing students were concerned about Blank’s dedication to the accessibility of UW.

Mathews, who said Blank did not fully disclose her stance on tuition and accessibility at her visit, said she hopes she will listen to student concerns about rising tuition.

“As a student [accessibility] is something that I am concerned about,” Mathews said. “I don’t know if an economist’s perspective is what we need in higher education. A lot of problems that we have seen in higher education across the country is from treating it as a good, a private good.”

Economically, Conrad said Blank’s focus on fundraising is crucial. However, he emphasized the importance research has to the university’s funding.

“Part of it is fundraising,” Conrad said. “Part of it is interdisciplinary research, the Waisman research. That is what needs to be really important.”

Despite some worries about tuition and accessibility, both Conrad and Mathews said Blank was a “solid” choice for chancellor. Mathews added she believes the student body will embrace Blank despite endorsing Schill.

According to Conrad, Blank’s “innovative” style will be good for the university, as she “understands that public universities are at a tipping point.”