Walk-in flu shot clinics for students begin Sept. 28

University of Wisconsin’s University Health Services will again offer influenza immunizations on campus this year.

UHS Executive Director Sarah Van Orman said registered students are welcome to come and receive free immunizations at several campus locations.

“The easier we can make it for people, the better,” Van Orman said.

According to a UW Statement, the free influenza immunizations are provided by UHS and covered by the Student Health Fee.

The statement listed typical flu symptoms as fever, sore throat, dry cough, runny nose, head and body aches and extreme fatigue.

UHS will begin to administer immunizations at walk-in clinics starting at the South East Recreational Facility Sept. 28 and will continue to hold open clinics at different areas around campus. Those interested can view the UHS website for a list of clinic locations.

UHS will offer walk-in immunizations Monday through Friday from Oct. 1 to Nov. 16. Van Orman said flu shots will be available by appointment only after Nov. 16. Union South, Chadbourne Hall, Dejope Hall and the Health Sciences Learning Center will also host walk-in clinics over that time.

Van Orman said UW faculty and staff can also receive influenza immunizations starting Sept. 17. She said immunizations for faculty and staff are not free, and they can either be billed through insurance or paid for in person.

UHS also offers a FluMist nasal spray alternative to the injectable vaccine, according to Van Orman.

While the spray is effective, Van Orman said some people prefer the injectable option because of the side effects like nasal congestion and mild cold-like symptoms associated with the nasal spray.

Students must come into UHS to receive the FluMist nasal spray because it will not be offered at clinics, and there is a five dollar extra fee associated with the spray, Van Orman said.

It is important to be vaccinated every year against influenza, Van Orman said, because the virus is always changing, and it is especially important for students to be immunized because the flu spreads quickly in the close living conditions common in college life.

Van Orman said between 10,000 and 11,000 students receive a flu shot from UHS each year and turnout has increased over the past several years.