Suspects arrested in Aug. 1 Ball attack

The Madison Police Department arrested three suspects allegedly involved in the Aug. 1 attack on Wisconsin running back Montee Ball last Tuesday.

An MPD report identifies Wendell Venerable, Deonte Wilson and Robert Wilks – all 21 years old and students at the University of Wisconsin – as being taken into custody and tentatively charged with substantial battery and party to a crime.

According to the original report, five men attacked Ball at approximately 2:15 a.m. Aug. 1 on the 500 block of University Avenue. Ball was knocked to the ground and kicked repeatedly. He sustained a concussion and facial injuries in the attack.

Over the course of the investigation, however, the MPD uncovered details of a precipitating fight that occurred at a downtown house party in the late hours of July 27.

The report said UW students, UW football team members and others not associated with the athletic department were involved in the altercation. Ball was present at the party, but police do not believe he participated in the fight, the report said.

One person suffered injuries and was treated at a hospital.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said police believe the two incidents are related but did not specifiy whether the three arrested suspects attended the party.

“There is a likelihood that there is a correlation between the two events, but at this time we’re not at a position to say which people we believe were at that party other than to say that we have no credible information to suggest that Montee Ball was involved in that violent and precipitating event,” DeSpain said.

No charges have been filed relating to the July 27 fight, the report said. According to DeSpain, police are still reviewing that incident, while the Aug. 1 attack also remains an open investigation.

If found responsible, the three suspects could receive sanctions “ranging from a meeting with the [dean of students] or a letter in their file up to a suspension or expulsion,” according to a statement from UW Dean of Students Lori Berquam.

“We are unable to discuss the discipline process, as it relates to specific students under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act,” Berquam said.

Ball, a senior, ran for 1,923 yards and tied an NCAA record with 39 touchdowns last season. He finished fourth in voting for the Heisman Trophy and is considered by many to be a candidate for the award in 2012.
During the football team’s media day Aug. 12, Ball said he was on his way home the night of the attack after going out with friends before the start of the football team’s summer camp.

“I’m looking at it now as I’m just blessed, very blessed, because obviously it could have been a lot worse,” Ball said.