Letters and Science dean to return to faculty

The Dean of the University of Wisconsin’s College of Letters and Science will step down next year, with the coming academic school year being his ninth and final year holding the position.

Gary Sandefur said after this last year he will return to being a member of UW’s faculty.

“I have done my part as dean long enough, and I’m ready to resume my life as a faculty member,” Sandefur said.

After stepping down, Sandefur said he plans on returning to the classroom. He said he used to teach an introductory course, Sociology 134, and is thinking about teaching it again while also participating in the life of the sociology department and continuing his work on diversity issues.

Sandefur said he also plans to work on authoring a book about the five Indian nations in Oklahoma, which he said will be at least a four- to five-year project. Sandefur said his ultimate goal is to retire sometime within the next four to five years.

“You should leave a job while you’re still having fun and have trust and confidence in colleagues,” he said.

Sandefur said he is proud of his department for making sure it has enough courses for students to take and that the quality of education is high.

“We have an exciting and influential faculty,” Sandefur said. “We have hired exceptional people, many of whom are already making significant contributions.”

Elaine Klein, assistant dean for academic planning” in the College of L&S, said she would describe Sandefur as the kindest person she knows.

“He cares deeply about the people of the College of Letters & Science, centering his attention on students and how we help them achieve their academic goals, but he also cares a lot about the people who work in the college,” Klein said. 

She said Sandefur knows the importance to place on student learning as well as being resourceful in finding new sources of revenue in a time when budget cuts are common.

Even with some of the tumultuous times the college has gone through in the past few years, Sandefur has been a thoughtful and creative leader, and people have maintained a lot of confidence in his leadership, Klein said.

She said she knows in the coming year Sandefur will be doing everything he can to set the stage for a successful transition to the next dean.

“I don’t work for Gary; I work with him, and he works with me and everyone else too,” Klein said. “I really hope he enjoys his retirement – he deserves the time for relaxation and research.”

Sandefur said he received his undergraduate degree from the University of Oklahoma and his Ph.D. at Stanford University in sociology and has been a part of the staff at UW since 1984.