Badgers Against Racism rally protests ‘Cinco de Mifflin’ theme

racism_OTD
Students gathered on East Campus Mall to encourage the UW community to be cognizant of racial stereotypes, including ‘Cinco de Mifflin’.[/media-credit]

A crowd of students, faculty and community members rallied at East Campus Mall Friday afternoon to support Badgers Against Racism’s efforts against the use of the term “Cinco de Mifflin” in connection with the Mifflin Street Block Party.

Badgers Against Racism, a new coalition on campus that encourages people to speak out against racism, works to educate people about potentially harmful stereotypes. The formation of the group was a response to the widespread use of the term, “Cinco de Mifflin,” according to a statement from the group.

The statement added that the term “Cinco de Mifflin” promotes stereotypical thinking that can lead to serious hate crimes and is offensive not only to the Mexican-American community, but to people who care about diversity and cultural issues as well.

They added in the statement that they are not against the block party, but the associations between Cinco de Mayo and the Mifflin Street Block Party. They also said recent incidents, including the alleged hate crime at Delta Upsilon fraternity, are not isolated incidents of racism and are unacceptable.

Ashley Thorpe, one of the organizers of the rally and a member of Badgers Against Racism, spoke about the importance of the event.

“Spreading awareness is the first step to creating a change here on campus,” she said. “It’s important to point out that this is not an isolated event. This is a daily occurrence of students who are being marginalized by their race, gender, sexuality and so on. It isn’t just at Mifflin.”

C.J. Rios, a third generation Mexican-American and a fourth-year student at UW, said that it is not only the term, “Cinco de Mifflin,” that is a racial problem. The costumes, the sombreros and the shirts that replace the serpent on the Mexican flag with a beer bong are equally as offensive, she said.

“Appropriating culture is disrespectful, and the fact that this hasn’t been considered by fellow Badgers makes me feel uncomfortable and almost unwelcome because of my culture,” Williams added.

UW student Jorge Rodriguez also spoke about the history of Cinco de Mayo and urged the audience to reconsider the way they celebrate the historical event, as common stereotypes ultimately “magnify the ignorance and lack of respect for Mexican ancestors.”

UW student Joe Evica also reminded the audience that Mifflin began as an anti-war movement and expressed his hopes that Badgers Against Racism will become a registered student organization within the next year.

Meghan Smith, a freshman at UW, said she stopped at the event after she saw participants gathered in East Campus Mall.

“I don’t think we realize how big of a deal something so simple can become,” Smith said. “It’s so important to stay educated about other cultures. I had no idea that this perspective about ‘Cinco de Mifflin’ was so prevalent.”

After the Mifflin Street Block Party is over, Thorpe said that Badgers Against Racism plans to focus on becoming a student organization and improving inclusion of all cultures throughout the campus.

C.J. Rios added Badgers Against Racism will work to show that people’s intentions do not always align with the impact they carry, and that “people of color on campus deserve more respect than a costume and a T-shirt with a seemingly harmless design.”