Groups ramping up campaigns for student voting

Student organizations and campaigns for County Board are ramping up their efforts to mobilize voters for the April 3 election in an effort they say will ensure the student voice is heard during an election when many students are likely to be out of town for spring break.

University of Wisconsin sophomore Leland Pan and UW junior John Magnino are both vying for the Dane County Board seat. The election, which will happen over spring break, will also include the Republican presidential primary, Dane County judicial and Madison School Board seats.

David Vines, a spokesperson for Pan’s campaign, said they are trying to reach people in the district to get to know them individually and on a person-by-person basis.

He added they have been collecting names of people interested in what Leland has to offer and having door-knocking outreach campaigns since December.

“We have had conversations with hundreds of people so they get to know about the election and how they can vote,” Vines said.

Vines said the campaign has also tried to reach out to student voters by encouraging them to recognize the importance of their vote, so students will apply for an absentee ballot if they are out of town on spring break or head to the polls if they are still in Madison.

Jordan Weibel, chair of the UW College Democrats, which is backing Magnino in the election, said he wants all voices to be heard in the election. He said absentee ballots are an effective way to ensure the student voice is not lost because of the timing of the election.

Magnino echoed the sentiment that speaking directly with students would prove an important mobilization effect.

“No. 1: it comes down to talking to them at their doors in face-to-face conversations,”
he said.

Magnino said he has been going around to people’s doors for the past couple weeks with absentee
ballots, showing them how to sign up and dropping off their ballots for them.

His campaign is also holding several vote rallies throughout the week in Peace Park off State Street to explain to students what they need to vote and walk with them to the Madison City Clerk’s office to vote early if they are going to be out of town.

“It feels really good to go out there knowing you are facilitating students in the polls,” Magnino said.

College Republicans Chair Jeff Snow said he believes it is important for students to have the chance to vote in this election, even if they are going to be gone, because of the national importance Wisconsin is likely to play in the national Republican presidential primary.

Snow encouraged students to go to the City Clerk’s office and vote absentee if they are going to be out of town.

UW professor Susan Paddock, an expert on Wisconsin local government, said she believes students who have concerns about these elections must get an absentee ballot.

Paddock added face-to-face and one-on-one encounters are important in affecting voters’ decisions by making them more likely to pay attention in an election.