Nikki Giovanni advocates students’ creative pursuits

dls_RH
Poet and activist Nikki Giovanni gave a talk on campus Wednesday as a part of the Union’s Distinguished Lecture Series.[/media-credit]

Famed poet, activist and educator Nikki Giovanni took the stage yesterday to advocate the necessity of finding one’s voice in a time of political turbulence in order to create a difference, as a part of the Wisconsin Union Directorate’s Distinguished Lecture Series.

Giovanni is a University Distinguished Professor at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va., the author of the poem “We Are Virginia Tech,” and numerous books of poetry. According to her website, Giovanni’s work focuses on the individual, her poetry expressing racial pride, respect for family and her own personal experiences.

The civil rights movement also inspired much of her early poetry, and she is noted for her outspokenness as a writer and lecturer. Giovanni was dubbed early in her career as the “Princess of Black Poetry,” her website adds.

In her speech on campus Wednesday, Giovanni emphasized the importance of education and urged students to be grateful for the opportunities life presents.

“Life is precious and important. We are trying to give you a chance to recreate this world,” she said. “As young Americans, there is no reason you should be afraid of anything.”

Giovanni also said people must come together through the process of accepting cultural diversity on all levels. She added she believes education in foreign languages should start at earlier ages.

“Whatever you’re doing, it ought to be your dream or your trip. Don’t let other people drag you down,” she said. “You have to go down on your own. If you make it, it’s yours, and if you don’t you know why.”

Giovanni also urged the audience to see the world through eager eyes and live each day with artistic inspiration, saying young adults should embrace the opportunities open to them.

Giovanni said young adults in their 20s should “wake up smiling” because there are many exciting opportunities available to explore.

Giovanni’s work appeals to people across generations, and her poems are taught in classrooms around the country, UW Afro-American Studies professor Sandra Adell said.

“After having taught her poetry in my classes for years, I am excited to finally have this opportunity to meet her and to say how much we all appreciate her passion, her commitment to social justice and, of course, her poetry,” Adell said.

Adell added there has been a tremendous amount of excitement among students and faculty alike since it was announced a few weeks ago that Giovanni would be coming to campus.

With her outspoken presence on paper, onstage or at the head of a lecture hall, Giovanni serves as a source of inspiration for thousands of young writers and artists, Adell said.

One audience member said even without an artistic background, Giovanni’s message resonated.

“I thought she was amazing. I’m not an artist myself but I do appreciate her work. She’s someone you read growing up and always want to see. Seeing her is something I can cross off of my bucket list,” graduate student Bukky Akinsiku said.