UW bird flu research stalls amidst bioterror concerns

A University of Wisconsin scientist has suspended his research on the avian flu virus following concerns that it may pose a bioterrorism or pandemic threat if the strain were released or fell into the wrong hands.

UW professor Yoshihiro Kawaoka and other influenza researchers said they would suspend their research for 60 days in order to provide time for discussion and debate on the issues surrounding the bird flu, in a statement released earlier this month through the journal “Nature.”

According to a “Science” magazine report, similar research conducted in the Netherlands resulted in a genetically-altered H5N1 avian influenza strain that is now transmissible between ferrets, which most closely mimic the human response to the flu. Some scientists are worried the virus would trigger an influenza pandemic if accidentally released, the report said.

“A perceived fear that the ferret-transmissible H5HA viruses may escape from the laboratories has generated intense public debate in the media on the benefits and potential harm of this type of research,” the scientists said in the statement Friday.

The researchers hope to assure the public experiments are conducted with the appropriate oversight in safe facilities by highly-trained personnel to “minimize any risk of accidental release,” the statement said.

They added they will continue to study the transmissibility of the avian influenza virus.

In late December, leaders at the United States National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity recommended both “Nature” and “Science” magazines publish only the main conclusions made in the flu studies, but not to reveal more details on replicating the virus.

The journals and authors agreed to the censoring, but on the condition they will be allowed to publish information to legitimate flu researchers on a need-to-know basis, “Nature” reported.

Kawaoka’s research is essential in understanding the avian flu and how it changes from host to host, UW spokesperson Terry Devitt said.

The research will help to inform public health, global flu surveillance and the development of countermeasures in the event of a global flu pandemic, he added.

“As with any pathogen, there are legitimate concerns about security and safety,” Devitt said in an email to The Badger Herald. “The university takes such concerns with the utmost seriousness and has a model program for the oversight of research with pathogens and toxins.”

Devitt added the research is conducted in a high-level biosafety environment which is meant to protect the virus.

Kawaoka has been researching influenza at UW for at least a decade, Devitt said. Kawaoka is the principal investigator for this study, leading the team of researchers involved.

According to leaders at the Center for Biosecurity of University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, while most laboratories have “outstanding” safety records, there are no guarantees that a deadly strain of the avian flu would not escape accidentally.

“Given the potential global consequences of an accident with the newly modified strain of avian flu,” a statement released by the Center said, “we are playing with fire.”