Campus examines possible environmental harm from Union proposal

publicmeeting_TZ
Members of the UW community listen in on a presentation demonstrating the environmental impact the Memorial Union plans could have. Parties were concerned with preserving a 150-year-old Oak tree.[/media-credit]

Upon recommendation by the University of Wisconsin administration, an environmental study group hosted a public meeting Wednesday night to explore the possible green impacts the renovations planned for the Memorial Union could have on the surrounding area.

Led by Ben Peotter from Cornerstone Environmental Group, the meeting looked into the elements and environmental impact involved in the revised Memorial Union Renovations, Shoreline Rehabilitation and Alumni Park Project.

Peotter said comments received from the public during the scoping period were taken into account to draft the redesign and create the Draft Environmental Impact Assessment.

Phase one of the proposed renovation project, August 2012 to July 2014, concentrates on the Memorial Union Theater area. Renovations include an entirely rebuilt Hoofers area, mechanical modifications, theater loading door relocation, a play circle addition and the theater lounge addition, according to Del Wilson, partner at Uihlein-Wilson Architects and the project architect.

The lounge design, which students negatively responded to in this year’s student government referendum, has been redesigned to cut back the space by 22 feet because of concerns about the view of the lake, Wilson said. It has also been redesigned to be slightly removed from the existing building to keep its historic exterior visible.

As part of phase two, June 2014 to June 2017, Peet’s Coffee & Tea and The Daily Scoop will move to the other side of the Union to provide direct access from Alumni Park, and office space will be added to the fifth floor. Wilson also said the connecting units between the entrance hall and wings will be rebuilt using the historic stones.

JJR Landscape Architects’ Ed Freer presented the redesign for the Memorial Union Terrace/Shoreline and the Alumni Park. He said changes will be made in the elevation of the terrace without loss of square footage. Freer also addressed public concern about the loss of an approximately 150-year-old oak tree along with other oaks.

“Great lengths have been taken to assess these trees, and great lengths will be taken to protect these trees during construction,” Freer said.

Peotter added project leaders are trying to find an “innovative” way in which to incorporate the 150-year-old tree into the redesign.

Physical impacts of the project include vehicular and pedestrian rerouting, as well as limitation of access to the lake, Peotter said. Overall, he said the project will result in the “reduction of impervious surface,” which he said equates to better water quality.

Although new trees will be planted, the project is also likely to result in the loss of mature trees.

“There’s a question to whether some of these trees will survive construction.” Peotter said.

Following the meeting, the project will await approval from the Board of Regents. Once approval is secured, Peotter said the estimated completion date for the entire renovation project is during the fall of 2016.

“I think a lot of the elements with the project are long overdue,” UW alum Melissa Freer said. “From what I’ve seen tonight, they’ve really listened to a lot of the comments people have made and incorporated them into the redesign. I’m really looking forward to it.”