Student group aims to expand global health disparity education

As part of a nationwide effort to improve health care services in Latin America, members of a new University of Wisconsin Medicine, Education, and Development for Low-Income Families Everywhere chapter will travel to Quito, Ecuador, to work with local doctors and nurses in medical mobile clinics.

MEDLIFE is an organization that hosts full-time staff based in Latin America, plus 47 chapters at universities throughout the United States.

Christopher McCarthy, founder and current president of MEDLIFE’s UW chapter, said the organization is looking to educate the university and Madison community about global health issues and increase student involvement.

Last summer, 10 students traveled to Lima, Peru, to help build projects and assist doctors and nurses with general tasks. For many members, McCarthy said the experience was life-changing.

“There were 20,000 people who had two doctors who had to care for them in this tiny, little community,” McCarthy said. “Even though we don’t live down there, it’s still a big problem, and we’re trying to help them in any way we can.”

McCarthy added the trips focus primarily on medical mobile clinics that hire local doctors and nurses who are more knowledgeable about the local diseases and language. Members also work with local schools and various doctors and nurses.

UW MEDLIFE Vice President Kim Kempen added the students working in Lima last summer helped doctors in taking vitals as well as building stairs in the mountainside to allow for easier access for the young and the elderly.

“I was very happy that I went,” Kempen said. “It was really beneficial to see the differences between our country and the health care in South America. … I think it’s a good way to open your eyes to different experiences, … and it helps the people who need it the most.”

MEDLIFE offices in the various regions of South America ask local communities where they need help then inform student organizations where they will work shortly before departing for the program.

Kempen added these projects change depending on the area of South America various student groups work.

The trips are open to any UW student, regardless of major, who attends the organization’s general meetings. Students who then choose to travel to South America must attend group meetings where they learn local Spanish dialects and medical terminology.

“For the most part, we just want to get them ready and want to get them comfortable working with patients and doctors,” McCarthy said. “The cool part is we offer Spanish classes if someone has no Spanish ability, so someone can really pick up on their Spanish.”

There is a $650 participation fee in the program, which covers payment to local doctors, their stay in the hospital, meals and transportation. Because of the hands-on interaction alongside doctors, McCarthy said other similar programs can cost up to $2,000.

“We’re just trying to get people educated. We’re not trying to save the world,” McCarthy said. “We’re trying to show kids that we’ve been given a lot, … but that’s not the same situation for everyone.”