Science writer, blogger kicks off residence at UW with lecture

Science writer, blogger and public speaker John Rennie has been named the Science Writer in Residence for fall 2011 at the University of Wisconsin.

The Science Writer in Residence Program, supported by the UW Foundation, looks to bring nationally or internationally recognized science writers to campus each semester, said UW spokesperson Terry Devitt, one of the program’s founders.

Rennie said he believes Madison has done a wonderful job identifying great scientific journalists and bringing them to campus in the past.

“I felt really honored to get the invitation because there have been so many other terrific science communicators who have been part of the program,” said Rennie.

Rennie served as editor in chief of Scientific American Magazine from 1994 until 2009, which twice received National Magazine Awards for Editorial Excellence in the Single-Topic Issue category, according to a resume obtained from Devitt.

Rennie’s most recent work has been as an adjunct instructor at New York University, as well as creating “The Gleaming Retort,” a blog discussing issues like climate change, evolutionary biology and the state of science journalism.

Visitors with the program are also asked to give a public lecture, Devitt said. Rennie’s lecture, he added, is entitled “What the Tumultuous State of Science Publishing Means for Science Writers (and for Science),” and will take place on Wednesday, Oct. 24.

Rennie said his lecture Wednesday will discuss the rise of digital media and its effect on not just scientific practices but also public appreciation and understanding.

“To me, this is a wonderful time for trying to help open people’s eyes to what is possible to do in science journalism these days and to hear what they have to tell me too, [as] I don’t expect the conversation to be all one way,” Rennie said.

Writers are also given the opportunity to meet with faculty, staff and students whose research programs may be of interest to them, Devitt added.

“Visiting writers spend a week on campus serving as a resource for faculty, staff and, most importantly, students,” Devitt said. “They visit numerous classes, including those in the J School, and various departments around campus.”