Staff call for extension of Ward’s term

The University of Wisconsin community is abuzz with rumors of a possible extension to Interim Chancellor David Ward’s one-year term after a letter was sent from the University Committee to System President Kevin Reilly late last week.

Vice Chancellor of University Relations Vince Sweeney said while he has not personally seen the letter, he believes the committee made the case Ward should be looked at as a two-year appointment instead of the original one-year term.

Sweeney said the positive impression Ward has already left on the university could be a major contributing factor as to why the University Committee feels a second year would be fitting.

“I can’t speak for the Committee, but it would appear they are very happy with Chancellor Ward’s performance in the short time he’s been here,” Sweeney said.

Citing the flexibilities the university gained and the money lost during the 2011-13 budget cycle, Sweeney said Ward’s reputation as a strong and experienced leader would prove beneficial during this important time.

He highlighted the University Committee would be well aware of this, as well as other facets of the university.

“These two years are crucial for UW, and the extension of Ward’s appointment would help with stability,” he said. “The general feeling is that someone as experienced as Ward can prove to be very valuable.”

Associated Students of Madison Chair Allie Gardner agreed, stating a second year would add a needed sense of stability.

“In the past year, the university and state have been in economic and political turmoil,” she said. “Consistency in Bascom would be a good thing.”

Should Reilly consider adding a second year to Ward’s term, Gardner emphasized he would talk to several university stakeholders and the Board of Regents before making a decision.

She also said the University Committee is asking the search and screen committee, which is designed to help select the next permanent chancellor, not convene until the end of the academic year.

This would delay the current timeline of the search and screen committee, whose nominations are due Sept. 30, with a prospective deadline of having a new chancellor named in the spring in order to assume office by July 2012.

Ward, who came out of retirement to serve as interim chancellor this year, would also have to agree to another year.

Sweeney, who was asked to speak on Ward’s behalf, said if members from across the campus community are in favor of a second year, he believes Ward would consider the proposal.

“My hunch is that if others are supportive of adding another year and if others outside of the [University] Committee think this is a good idea, it’s something [Ward] would seriously look into,” Sweeney said.

Ward’s career at UW exceeds 30 years. Looking forward to his year as interim chancellor, Ward mentioned the political circumstances that may lead to his second year as an area of focus.

“I am eager to listen to reactions to the political challenges of the past six months both on and off campus, but my main purpose will be to build on the substantial increase in fiscal and administrative flexibilities contained in the recently enacted budget,” Ward said in the statement.

Attempts to contact Reilly and the University Committee were unsuccessful.