D.C. economist named director of La Follette

An economist hailing from Washington D.C. with a background in health research will take the reins of the University of Wisconsins La Follette School of Public Affairs this fall.

Thomas DeLeire is an economist, according to a UW statement, focusing his research on labor and health economics. He was the interim director of the UW Population Health Institute for the past year and currently teaches classes in several UW departments.

His resume also boasts being a senior analyst for the Congressional Budget Office and a senior economist for the Council of Economic Advisers, according to the statement.

DeLeire said he found out he was going to be the school’s new director in the spring of 2011, officially taking over in the beginning of July.

“I am delighted by Tom’s appointment to the directorship. He represents the ideal of policy-focused scholarship that is at the heart of the Wisconsin Idea and the La Follette School,” said Donald Moynihan, associate director of the school.

Currently, DeLeire supervises a faculty dealing with both student services and the financial aspects of the school while also interacting with a board of advisers consisting of alumni, friends of the school, people from the state and people in Washington D.C.

He is also teaching a course in health services research.

According to the school’s website, the La Follete School trains students to convert a prior passion for public affairs and service into careers with the power to benefit both the country and the world.

“Our students receive training in public policy analysis and also public administration. Most go on to work in either nonprofit areas, federal or local governments or in the private sector dealing with how a company relates to government regulation,” DeLeire said.

DeLeire also said the school’s curriculum follows the Wisconsin Idea closely.

“La Follette really embodies the Wisconsin Idea in terms of how our research and other activities that really end up serving the citizens of Wisconsin,” he said. “We train our students in more things, who then go on to not only get great careers, but who also have more public service experience and can really help out at public-oriented schools.”

The school offers graduate programs in public affairs and international public affairs, along with a dual degree program.

The school also allows seniors to take graduate classes so they may graduate with a master’s degree with only one additional year of college.

Moynihan said DeLeire’s research and past experience will be beneficial to the school as it correlates to the school’s mission.

“Tom is an extraordinarily prolific scholar who has meaningful contributions to topics as varied as health policy, happiness and labor economics. His work … has direct relevance to the policy changes governments face,” he said. “This is the type of non-partisan rigorous work that we prepare our Master’s students to do and demonstrates the value of investing in public universities.”

DeLeire’s appointment as La Follete School of Public Affairs director follows previous director Carolyn Heinrich’s announcement that she was leaving the school.