Disney exec says good ideas key to success

disney_MM
Peter Schneider, one the animators behind the popular Disney films ‘The Lion King,’ ‘Beauty and the Beast’ and ‘The Little Mermaid spoke on campus Wednesday about how a passionate team of people and the ability to tell a story with a uniqe point of view can lead to success.[/media-credit]

As a generation who grew up with Disney classics, many University of Wisconsin students can probably sing along to “Under the Sea” word-for-word, and most remember how hard they cried the first time they saw Mufasa die.

On Wednesday night however, the first president of feature animation for the Walt Disney Company talked to students about the process behind producing these classic films, and how a unique idea can earn millions.

Peter Schneider worked on Disney classics such as “The Little Mermaid,” “The Lion King” and “Beauty and the Beast” during his 17-year career with Disney. Since then, he has founded his own production company and directed on Broadway.

He said the idea of quantifying and defining success in an attempt to capitalize on good ideas is an essential practice in the entertainment business.

All commercially successful ideas in Hollywood can be condensed in 90 seconds, Shneider added.

He also emphasized the importance of assembling a group of people who are capable of bringing a unique and engaging idea to life.

Schneider said the talented music team working on “The Little Mermaid,” were responsible for adding some of the more sophisticated and memorable aspects of the movie, such as Sebastian the crab’s Jamaican accent.

“It’s a combination of uniqueness and a passionate team of people that can make an idea that is not new – like the Little Mermaid – and make it interesting by changing the typical point of view,” he said.

He added creative individuals need to be able to communicate their ideas and inspire a collaborative group of people to create the vision.

Another important aspect of entrepreneurship, he said, is knowledge of the rules of the craft to assess when breaking rules in business is justifiable.

Schneider explained although many musicals and other productions may seem fairly formulaic, an idea can be made inspirational instead of clich? by simply knowing one’s field.

In a business which often requires the collaborative work of thousands, he said a certain passion was necessary for individuals to improve upon good ideas and that entrepreneurs must be able to find ways of elevating an idea through peoples’ own individual passions.

He added the character of Ariel was brought to life by a single animator drawing on the inspiration of his wife, the voice actress, and the original music composition.

Schneider said his business is all about trying to find things that are interesting and capable of turning a profit.

“My hope is that you have the courage and the convictions to find and create good ideas and make it something beyond anyone else’s expectations,” he said. “The only thing that counts is your point of view and the mold you construct.”

Carlos Lozano, a UW senior, said Schneider’s advice to thoroughly understand the rules of a field in order to bend them was particularly intriguing.

He said the lecture was especially meaningful because he grew up watching Disney movies, and it was interesting to hear from an individual who had worked on the films and learn about how the projects took place.

“I appreciated the advice to keep the passion in order for entrepreneurs to be successful,” he said.