UW faculty named ‘Professor of Year’

The University of Wisconsin is known for its world-class faculty and groundbreaking research, but thanks to one UW professor, it is also the home to a Professor of the Year.

UW soil science professor Teri Balser received the award from the Carnegie Institute for the Advancement of Teaching and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education, who sponsored the award.

According to a statement released by UW, the award is part of the U.S. Professors of the Year program.

More than 300 people were nominated from around the country, Balser said. Out of those, 46 people received state awards, but only four won national awards, including Balser.

A panel selected winners for four categories including doctoral and research institutions, which Balser won. She was selected because of her creativity in teaching and for being someone who actively studies how to be a better teacher.

Balser flew to Washington D.C. Wednesday and was honored along with the other national recipients in a ceremony today.

One of Balser’s former students introduced her at the ceremony before Balser gave acceptance remarks. However, she said that didn’t keep the butterflies away.

“(I was basically) terrified…it meant a lot to me to really share with people how much being a good teacher means to me,” she said. “But I’m just happy about the great celebration.”

Balser said she found out she won the award in August though she had to keep it secret. She added she was honored by the recognition.

“It’s just this kind of incredible feeling for being recognized for doing something that I just love to do,” Balser said.

Balser studies how organisms in the soil are impacted by and contribute to climate change. She said she also tries to understand how people respond to learning about the environment.

Despite the recognition, Balser said she is not alone on campus.

“I know I’m not the only good teacher at UW…I hope it highlights it for all of them,” Balser said.

The main point of pride for Balser though, is the fact she was recognized for her teaching abilities, not just her research.

“I hope that it highlights the fact that there are some really excellent and caring teachers at UW and that we really care about our graduates,” she said. “We’re not just a research university.”