Dems, citizens fight for high-speed rail

Wisconsin-High-Speed-_Barg
Supporters of Wisconsin’s high-speed rail rally in Milwaukee on Monday in response to Talgo’s announcement they will leave the state if the funding is returned.[/media-credit]

Following warnings by Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood that the U.S. Department of Transportation will redistribute the $810 million allotted to Wisconsin for high-speed rail if Gov.-elect Scott Walker cancels construction, several Wisconsin lawmakers are taking action.

LaHood told Walker in a letter early this month Walker’s hopes to reallocate the money toward other projects within the state would be unsuccessful.

Meanwhile, officials in Illinois and New York have already expressed interest to LaHood in Wisconsin’s rail funds.

In response, three Republican congressmen drafted a bill Tuesday in support of Walker and other states who do not wish to follow through on high-speed rail projects in their states.

U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., Paul Ryan, R-Wis., and Rep. Tom Petri, R-Wis., have drafted legislation that would give states reconsidering high-speed rail projects the power to control where the federal government allocates their stimulus packages.

The bill would give states the ability to return federal funds obligated to high-speed rail projects to use toward reducing the nation’s $1.6 trillion deficit and $13.8 trillion debt, according to a statement from the congressmen.

Walker campaigned against the rail system during the elections and has said since winning the election he will follow through on promises to halt construction of the Madison-Milwaukee train line.

Walker has said he wants to redirect the stimulus funds to repair Wisconsin’s highway infrastructure instead.

“Wisconsin has significant transportation needs,” Walker said in a statement. “I believe it is a grave mistake for the federal government to insist on building an unwanted passenger rail system at a time when our roads and bridges are literally crumbling.”

LaHood has also previously told Walker and Ohio Gov.-elect John Kasich, another opponent of high-speed rail, the funds could not be used for other infrastructure projects.

Walker’s plans to cancel the high-speed rail project have drawn criticism from labor organizations that want the train, saying it will create jobs and boost the economy.

The new train funding bill comes just a day after a pro-high-speed rail rally in Milwaukee Monday.

Members of AFL-CIO, Voices de la Frontera and Citizen Action of Wisconsin gathered outside of Talgo Inc., the Spanish train company that will be responsible for constructing the high-speed rail.

Talgo has said it would relocate to Illinois in 2012 if Wisconsin does not continue construction on high-speed rail.

Citizen Action of Wisconsin said in a statement they held the rally because canceling the train would threaten an estimated 14,000 jobs and $173 million in increased Wisconsin household income.

The group added canceling the project would cost Wisconsin $57 to $100 million because the state would have to pay back the federal government for work already done.

Also on the pro-train side of the debate, the Democratic Party of Wisconsin purchased a billboard in Milwaukee to advertise how critics say Walker’s plan to cancel the train will result in Illinois snatching jobs from Wisconsin workers.

The billboard says, “Dear Scott Walker, Thanks for the money and jobs! Love, Illinois.”