Student government delays vote on new funding stream plan

The student government postponed voting on a new funding source Monday that would ensure vital services are provided on campus.

The Associated Students of Madison’s Student Services Finance Committee delayed voting on the new Campus Service Fund until Thursday.

The committee wanted more time to be able to clarify some of the language in the bylaws and to specify if the CSF could provide a service that the university already provides for students, in addition to ones it does not.

SSFC Legal Council Tyler Junger said the CSF could provide the same services as the university as long as they are reaching a different segment of the student population. However, he said student groups cannot provide the same service as the university or the CSF and still receive General Student Services Funds.

“If the university provides sunshine to 65 percent of students, the CSF can provide sunshine for the rest of the students,” Junger said.

Several student group leaders and committee members raised concerns that not enough students and student organizations were being involved in the process of creating the CSF.

Wisconsin Student Public Interest Research Group Secretary Allie Gardner said she hoped SSFC would include more students in the process, and suggested having a town hall meeting where students could weigh in.

SSFC Chair Matt Manes said there was still plenty of time to hear feedback from students, because the CSF still has to be voted on by the Student Council before it goes into effect.

“We are not approving the fund, we are just endorsing the fund. It means we are saying we think this is important, we should be doing this,” Manes said.

He added it would take at least a month for the new fund to be passed.

Representative Aliyya Terry said she did not feel comfortable endorsing the fund because it had so many problematic issues and holes in it.

Terry said since the fund is not controlled by viewpoint neutrality, there is nothing stopping SSFC or Student Council from rejecting a student group under the CSF because they do not agree with the group’s views or have a personal problem with them.

Manes said at some point you have to trust elected officials to make the right decisions.

“You will never completely insulate against everything you can do in the system, but you can set up broad checks to defend the system,” Manes said.

Junger suggested they could use a blind proposal system and have ASM select the student groups based on their proposals and not let people making the decision know which group the proposals are from.

Several committee members said they agreed there are some things that need to be worked out in the CSF, but overall it is a good idea. They also agreed the CSF should not replace the current GSSF funding for student organizations.

“I don’t think it can or should replace the GSSF, I still think the GSSF has problems that need to be resolved independently…but right now I would tentatively vote yes for this fund,” representative Cale Plamann said.