UW seeks DNC money for rally expenses

Days after more than 25,000 people packed into and around the University of Wisconsin to hear President Barack Obama speak, the university may ask the Democratic National Committee for more money than the contract originally stated, officials said.

Vice Chancellor for University Relations Vince Sweeney said in an email to The Badger Herald the Democratic National Committee put $10,500 toward the rally, relieving some of the burden on UW.

This cost covered what Sweeney referred to as basic services, such as staffing UW employed electricians, plumbers, maintenance mechanics and groundskeepers, among others.

UW signed a contract with the DNC on Sept. 22 Sweeney said, and unlike the $10,500, additional costs were not part of the contract.

The extra costs were for services provided by UW that were unanticipated, according to Sweeney. Water bottles for the crowd and “wrestling over press rooms” were the examples Sweeney used. UW plans to submit these costs to the DNC with the hope they will pay for them.

While these “minor expenses” were not part of the Sept. 22 contract, Sweeney said UW is not going to report every detail for reimbursement.

“We would only bill them for something reasonable and unexpected,” he said. “It’s impossible to reduce it all to a contract.”

According to a statement released by the DNC, UW received funds “for use of the facilities and other costs for [the] event… paid for all production costs, travel costs, and other costs incurred by performers.”

Sweeney said a final cost for the rally has yet to be tallied, but despite the burden placed on UW, the benefits far outweighed the cost.

“It offered our campus community, particularly our students, a rare opportunity to see and hear a president,” Sweeney said.

With every police force involved in the rally – including officers from the state, county, city and UW level – UW Sergeant Aaron Chapin said in an email to The Badger Herald the UW Police Department was proud to be part of the event.

Whether they helped plan the rally or patrolled Library Mall, Chapin said people in the department were happy with how the event turned out.

“Our officers were honored to be a part of history,” he said. “The members of the department who were involved in the planning of the event were pleased at how well the event went.”

However, UWPD is not releasing the number of officers on duty for the rally, Chapin said.