UW celebrates Tibetan culture

colorTibet_MH
A buddhist monk offers a facet of his culture to UW.[/media-credit]

The Memorial Union was filled with red Friday, but not just in celebration of the first home football game.

Buddhist monks dressed in traditional red robes and Tibetans in multi-patterned and colored garments were scattered throughout Memorial Union, preparing for the second annual Tibet festival, which ran through the weekend.

The event was co-sponsored by the Wisconsin Tibetan Association and the University of Wisconsin’s Center for South Asia to foster appreciation of Tibetan culture with the Wisconsin public.

To kick off the festivities the Buddhist monks said a prayer for peace and justice for Tibet, ringing bells and softly clanging cymbals, as is traditional for events in Tibet.

Center for South Asia Director Mark Kenoyer also opened the event, praising the festival for its celebration of Tibetan culture.

“We look forward to the next three days of the Tibet festival,” Kenoyer said. “I spread the word around as much as I can and we should continue to do this and make sure a lot of people see it.”

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz also attended the opening of the festival, commending the Tibetan community for their efforts to preserve their culture. In honor of his attendance and help to the community, Kenoyer offered him a traditional white Tibetan scarf.

“I’ve had a couple of opportunities to meet his holiness the Dalai Lama and each time I’m honored to be presented with these scarves,” Cieslewicz said. “It’s getting to the point where I’ll be able to get through Wisconsin Januaries with them. I do understand what a great honor it is to be presented with them today and to greet the Dalai Lama himself. ”

Madison flies the Tibet flag each time the Dalai Lama visits both to honor him and to express support and closeness to the Tibetan community here in Madison, Cieslewicz said.

Cieslewicz added he hopes the Tibet festival contributes to Madison’s strength and diversity as a community.

“On behalf of the entire community of Madison I’d like to thank you for honoring our community and for this wonderful festival which I hope will contribute to a greater understanding of this culture,” Cieslewicz said.

Children from the Tibetan Language School also performed with song and dance. Although some wore black Converses traditional of American culture, their ribbon, braided hair and robes expressed their ties and support of Tibetan culture.

Wisconsin Tibetan Association Vice President Tsering Kharitsang also introduced the festival as a way to preserve a culture that was systematically wiped out in Tibet.

Cieslewicz was then escorted to officially open the exhibition room, featuring Tibetan carpets, photographs of Tibet and books on medicine and healing.

The Tibetan festivities continued throughout the weekend, as booths were set up in Library Mall, each one showcasing a different part of Tibetan culture.

Volunteer Gabriel Feinstein said the event is important for celebrating and preserving Tibetan culture.

“I always enjoy coming to these events,” Feinstein said. “It lets America know that Tibetan culture is completely different from Chinese, and it’s important for the Tibetan community.”