Bucky loses head after hosting party

bucky_LK
Perhaps this very Bucky head was the victim of a crime Monday night.[/media-credit]

In the early morning hours of Sept. 6, a University of Wisconsin student woke up missing something important.

Someone took the head of UW mascot Bucky Badger after a gathering at the student’s –one of several Buckys on campus — W. Gilman St. apartment the night before.

The student reported the incident to the Madison Police Department and UW officials, MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said.

According to an incident report from the Madison Police Department, the student decided if the perpetrator returned the head undamaged he would not pursue criminal charges.

The student found the head outside his apartment Sept. 7, DeSpain said, and as far as he knew no damage had been done to it.

The perpetrator was not found.

This is not the first time people have stolen Bucky’s head, but Josette Scheer, director of UW’s Spirit Squad said it usually disappears from the Spirit Squad Office, not from a student’s apartment.

The 28-pound visage of beloved Bucky is composed of carbon fiber, Scheer said. The initial mold for the head cost UW $5500, but once the mold is made replacements costs $3000.

Students who don the red sweater are responsible to cover costs for whatever UW’s insurance does not, and Scheer said typically they do not face additional punishment, but further action would depend on the situation.

“They know they’re responsible for the suit,” she said. “It’s up to them to keep it as safe as they can.”

Students are advised to lock up the suit if they can, whether in their bedrooms or a secure area of their dorm rooms, Scheer said.

Should a head be stolen and not returned, Scheer said appearances would not be cancelled.

Seven students earn the title of mascot at UW, and only seven suits exist to meet this need. Scheer said while UW would try to acquire a new head as quickly as possible, adjustments would have to be made if it were not returned.

“Whoever was without a suit would definitely have to borrow someone else’s suit for the events he’s responsible for,” she said.