With more than 800 student orgs on campus, one sure to fascinate

For many students, their first semester at the University of Wisconsin is one of transition and adaptation. From figuring out where classes are to who has the best parties, the adjustment to college life can be overwhelming, allowing homesickness and anxiety to creep in.

One way to get involved in campus life and begin to network is by joining one of UW’s student organizations, of which there are over 800. It does not matter what you are interested in; religion, politics, people watching — the list goes on and on.

Students get involved in organizations on campus for various reasons, said Barb Kautz, coordinator for Greek Life and student involvement through UW’s Center for Leadership and Involvement.

The purpose for these groups range from meeting new people to relieving stress and gaining real-world experience for the future.

“Students involved in orgs have a better retention rate,” Kautz said. “They also feel a stronger connection to the university and that shows up in giving dollars. So it is kind of a cyclical thing.”

UW sophomore and current treasurer for the Association of Women in Agriculture Jessica Milatz joined AWA as a freshman because of the various opportunities it had to offer.

With a strong alumni base, AWA offers women interested in agriculture a place to connect with each other as well as past members.

Their annual AWA Day connects members with alumni, which was a big draw for Milatz. Students attend dinner with alumni, where they give out scholarships and recognize alumni, in addition to networking.

“They help us get jobs, they look over our resumes, everything,” Milatz said. “A”WA is awesome. It’s the best thing I did coming to campus.”

To be in good standing, Milatz said members must participate in two service projects a semester and a fundraising activity.

Service projects range from writing Christmas cards for people in nursing homes to making dinner for families staying in the Ronald McDonald House.

AWA’s biggest fundraiser is their Breakfast on the Farm, which is held in late April at the stock pavilion. According to their web site, 2010 was the first year AWA received all food products from Wisconsin producers, with nearly 1,200 people attending.

In addition to the opportunities for service and career advice, bonding with her sisters is also important for Milatz.

She said when she arrived on campus she heard joining AWA would be a great way to meet people, so she visited their web site. After joining, Milatz said she is glad she did because of how close the members are to each other.

“Even when I lived in the dorms freshman year, I’d go hang out with my AWA sisters,” she said. “It builds the bonds, and these are going to be your friends for life.”

The easiest way to get involved is by attending the Student Org Fair held each semester.

The fall fair is the largest, with about 5,000 students attending. Kautz said CFLI hosts one each semester because of new students entering UW, people waiting to get involved and to keep up with changing interests.

The Student Org Fair will be held Sept. 14 from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Kohl Center.