Letters reveal UW researcher’s questionable animal practices

Improperly sanitized lab tools, lack of research documentation and failure to adhere to veterinarians’ instructions — these are just a few of the alleged violations that led to the suspension of a University of Wisconsin researcher.

UW professor of physiology Michele Basso’s research privileges and protocols were reinstated in March of this year after having been suspended in Feb. 2009. Director of the Campus Animal Program Eric Sandgren said the suspension was a result of a history of violations, many of which were similar. He said while there was no one violation that merited suspension, the history proved too much to allow her to continue her research.

A letter The Isthmus obtained written by UW Research Animal Veterinarian Janet Welter cites five categories of violations ranging from “failure to maintain appropriate animal-related records,” to “conditions that jeopardize the health or well-being of animals.”

Twice in 2003 and again in 2008, monkeys under Basso’s care had screws drilled into their dura, or brain lining, causing abscesses and hemorrhages, the letter said. Other incidents involved giving animals certain medications after being told not to by veterinarians, ignoring instructions to observe animals in compromised conditions and sterilizing lab tools with tap water.

The letter said when it was discovered only tap water was being used, Basso reportedly replied she thought tap water was chlorinated enough to kill off any bacteria.

A response letter from Basso that The Isthmus also obtained said many of these incidents were caused by poor communication between the veterinarians and herself. In response to the tap water claim, Basso said tools are soaked in a sterile chemical solution between uses, and the rinsing with tap water was to remove the dangerous chemicals from the tools before use on monkeys.

She added in the letter there was some discussion of switching from tap water to sterile saline, but she said she thought the force from the tap was necessary to remove the chemicals.

Alliance for Animals Director Rick Bogle said he thought the letter from Welter to Basso revealed two things.

First, UW did not act quickly enough to stop the violations.

Second, Bogle said Basso and her team of researchers may not be qualified to continue their research. He said if they were not able to properly insert screws, he did not know they would be able to perform much more precise procedures.

“I think the clumsiness that was suggested should call into question Basso’s research generally,” Bogle said. “It seemed that she and members of her lab didn’t have very much skill.”

He added he thinks UW reinstated her privileges and protocols primarily because her research brings in over $1 million for the school.

While Bogle said he did not have much confidence in Basso’s ability to return to research, Sandgren said he thought the problems would be alleviated.

He said a major improvement would be Basso’s move from the School of Medicine and Public Health to the Primate center, where there are always veterinarians on call.

“Her work does involve potential complications and when that happens things need to be dealt with right away,” Sandgren said.