Madison man faces charges for stalking UW cross-country athlete

A Madison man accused of stalking a University of Wisconsin member of the women’s cross-country and track team made his initial appearance in court Thursday.

David Hose, 21, Madison, entered a not guilty plea before being released on a signature bond.

If convicted, Hose could receive a maximum fine of $10,000 and/or three years and six months in jail for the stalking felony, the criminal complaint said.

Over an eight-month period, Hose contacted and followed the victim around campus, engaging in conduct the victim said made her fear for her safety and life, the complaint said.

Hose first approached the victim outside of State Street Brats in August 2009, the complaint said.

After the first incident, the complaint continued, the victim saw Hose outside the psychology building three times from October to December 2009.

It said in two of the incidents, Hose approached the victim, presented her with gifts, such as flowers and a poem, and walked away without speaking.

Throughout February, the victim saw Hose multiple times at the Camp Randall Shell watching her work out, the complaint said.

On March 16, the victim received two e-mails, one titled, “hey princess,” directing her to a Webspace page containing images of her and friends, and poems about the victim and her cross-country teammates.

The complaint said one of the poems contained a high school nickname the victim did not know how Hose knew.

On March 19, the UW Police Department responded to reports of a shrine outside the door to the cross-country locker rooms which included a picture of the women’s cross-country team, cassette tape, a book titled “Be Here Now” and dark human hair.

That day, the police made contact with Hose, who admitted to building the shrine, giving the victim gifts and sending her e-mails, the complaint said.

Hose told police he writes about the victim and other Badger runners in a daily journal.

The Internet and social-networking websites like Facebook allow a stalker easy access to information about a victim, such as their email, said Madison Police Department Detective Marion Morgan.

“[Stalking] is insidious, insistent behavior that can cause an incredible amount of fear and anxiety,” she said. “This distraction can undermine a student’s ability to perform in school.”

Hose will appear in court May 17.