Revised grad school structure revealed

The proposed restructuring of the graduate school moved toward a less sweeping reform, closer to the school’s current format, under a proposal introduced and debated extensively at the Faculty Senate Monday.

The new plan would create a vice chancellor of research and dean of the graduate school in duties only– preserving the two positions’ current state of being held by one person — move the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs and responsibilities involving safety to the vice chancellor of administration and restructure the Graduate Facility Executive Committee, which manages research oversight.

University Committee Chair William Tracy said many details, such as how GFEC would be restructured, still need to be worked out by UC.

Tracy and Hector DeLuca, chair of the Ad Hoc committee, whose recommendations inspired the new plans, said they wanted to present new plans as quickly as possible, adding they would not have time to finish the details before the end of the semester.

“We didn’t want to spell out all the details with something that could not encompass those details,” DeLuca said.

Food science professor Mark Etzel said he did not see why they could not simply move the RSP and safety responsibilities without making the other changes.

Chancellor Biddy Martin said in her first few months as chancellor she experienced a lot of complaints from faculty about the way graduate research was conducted, so she would be surprised to hear people do not want a new plan.

“The reason to imagine that we needed to make some changes came from complaints from you all,” Martin said.

The senate also heard a reading of an Ad Hoc Committee’s review of the Athletic Board, which found the board to be largely in compliance with Faculty Policy and Procedures. Chair of the Ad Hoc Committee Murray Clayton said Athletic Board Chair Walter Dickey said he has discussed the committee’s recommendations with Athletic Board committee chairs and they intend to take up the recommendations at their April meeting.

Also given a first reading was an amendment to add a department of dance education at UW. No one had comments or questions on the Athletic Board or dance education department.