Man charged with sexually assaulting UW student outside of Gordon Commons

Coleman Chung has been in custody since attacking two other women on campus earlier this year
Riley Steinbrenner

Coleman Chung, 30, was charged Tuesday with sexually assaulting and videotaping a woman after she had passed out at a University of Wisconsin dining hall. He is already accused of attacking two women last year in separate campus incidents.

The third assault occurred the morning of Sept. 29 at Gordon Commons, according to a criminal complaint filed Tuesday. Chung has since been charged with four counts of second degree sexual assault of the 17-year-old UW student.

According to the complaint, police became aware of the third assault during their investigation into the previous two attacks by Chung. Deleted videos and photos on an iPod Touch were obtained from Chung during the investigation.

The deleted video footage and photos, later recovered by the police, do not show Chung’s face but show the victim being touched and groped as she remained passed out on a bench.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2017/10/12/uwpd-arrests-monona-man-in-connection-to-assaultabduction-case/

Police were able to determine the victim’s identity, and where the assault had taken place, by comparing the deleted footage with campus surveillance.

Chung was previously charged with attempted kidnapping, armed robbery and first degree reckless injury for an attack on a woman on Oct. 2. The woman told police she was on Observatory Drive when a man grabbed, choked her and proceeded to strike her with a small hatchet before ordering her to get into the trunk of his car.  

https://badgerherald.com/news/2017/10/31/da-files-charges-against-suspect-in-attempted-abduction-of-two-uw-women/

Prior to that incident, Chung was identified for grabbing another woman on N. Carroll Street and attempting to take her purse. He fled when the woman screamed. Chung was charged with attempted robbery and misdemeanor battery for the incident.

Chung has been in custody since his arrest on Oct. 10, and will appear in court for the new charges Thursday.

Chung is also currently on probation for a 2015 federal child pornography possession conviction.