Feingold goes after Johnson

http://http://vimeo.com/15693949

After the first senatorial debate between the Wisconsin candidates, Ron Johnson said he believes he has Tea Party support, largely for his favoring less government. For instance, Johnson said he wants to repeal the health care legislation that was recently enacted and replace it with smaller bills. When asked which parts he would keep, Johnson mentioned portability, and he would start with tort reform.

http://http://vimeo.com/15694279

After the first senatorial debate between the Wisconsin candidates, Senator Russ Feingold, D-Wis., talked about his reaching out to more conservative voters, including Tea Partiers. Feingold said he thinks the health care legislation was a compromise between the various implementations voters wanted. He also said his campaign declined the request to not use footage from the debate in campaign commercials because candidate Ron Johnson “is trying to be a stealth senator,” and he wants to be able to hold Johnson accountable for what he says.

MILWAUKEE – Sen. Russ Feingold used his first debate against Republican challenger Ron Johnson to highlight his independent stances in the Senate and reach out to the conservative and Tea Party base, while Johnson questioned the veracity of this image.

At the debate, hosted by the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association, Feingold touted his record of not always agreeing with his fellow Democrats, which sometimes made him unpopular with the party.

“You hear the word ‘independence’ all the time, particularly political independence,” Feingold said. “So when I had the honor of becoming a U.S. Senator, I knew that that was going to be a big part of what I tried to do.”

Feingold pointed to his votes against the Wall Street bailout, against the Iraq war resolution and against the PATRIOT Act – the only vote against that bill.

Johnson did acknowledge that Feingold at one point may have had an independent voice, but he has lost that image by voting with Democrats on what Johnson called “failed policies” like the stimulus and the health care reform bill.

“During his nearly 30 years in politics, Sen. Feingold has worked hard to create an image as an independent maverick. It might have been true at one point but I don’t think it is anymore,” Johnson said.

In particular, Johnson said the recent health care reforms overstep government bounds into people’s lives and will bring advancements in the medical field “to a grinding halt.”

Feingold shot back at Johnson by questioning whether or not guaranteeing health care for people with pre-existing health conditions or ending lifetime limits on policies would “invade” Johnson’s personal freedoms.

Johnson also highlighted how he, unlike Feingold, is the type of “citizen legislator” the founding fathers of this country envisioned: someone who only serves a short time in public office – not an entire career.

“I will never vote (in the Senate) with reelection in mind,” Johnson said of his main campaign promise. “I’m not doing this because Ron Johnson wants to be a senator; I’m doing this because we have serious problems facing this nation.”

This vision, Johnson added, is one reason why he has such a strong Tea Party backing, along with his commitment to smaller government and protection of individual rights.

Feingold also reached out to the Tea Party members during the debate, listing many of his actions in the state and national Legislature as well as his consistent stances against wasteful government spending and for protecting constitutional rights like the right to bear arms.

“The Second Amendment is a passion of mine. I carry the Constitution with me…[and] I think [Tea Party members] probably read the Constitution before they were 55,” Feingold said, a dig at Johnson admitting to not reading the Constitution until this year – something his campaign later recanted.

Feingold also pointed out Johnson flipped on gun rights by first saying he would support gun licensing but later backtracking to say he meant permits instead.

Johnson countered by saying his endorsement from the National Rifle Association shows gun enthusiasts know his true commitment to protecting their rights. He added he has read both the Constitution and its predecessor, The Federalist Papers, multiple times in his life.

While the Johnson campaign agreed to the WBA’s request to not use footage from the debate in political ads, Feingold’s campaign refused.

“[Johnson] is trying to be a senator without ever appearing before the people of Wisconsin,” Feingold said. “He’s trying to be a stealth senator… so I am certainly going to make sure the people of the state know what this guy says.”

Johnson, the current leader in many polls, said after the debate he has merely been running a simple campaign for a smaller government and less spending. He added he is confident in garnering the Tea Party votes because “their issues are my issues.”

The two will debate again tonight at 7 p.m. at the University of Wisconsin-Marathon County campus in Wausau.