Week-long event looks to attract more young professionals to Wisconsin

Young Professionals Week aims to integrate more millennials into Wisconsin’s communities
Katie Cooney

Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation looks to encourage more young professionals to live and work in Wisconsin during its Young Professionals week.

The Milwaukee-based organization Newaukee created Young Professionals week in 2012 and has continued to host it each year. This year, WEDC invested $100,000 in events and programs for the week, which will be held from April 23-30, Lauren Foley, WEDC public relations manager, said.

“[WEDC is] teaming up with Newaukee so that we can aim at attracting and retaining young talent in Wisconsin,” Foley said. “Newaukee created the YP Week in 2012 and we have supported them and helped them grow this statewide.”

Over 40 private-sector sponsors collaborate to hold events and programs during YP Week, Foley said. When it started, the events and programs were geared toward attracting young professionals to Milwaukee, but in 2015, YP Week partnered with WEDC to make it a statewide effort. 

The number of events hosted during the week increased from 100 to 150 between 2015 and 2016 to accommodate growing participation. Foley said the events will take place in more than 15 cities including Madison. 

Tricia Braun, WEDC deputy secretary and chief operating officer, said in a statement that attracting more professionals is “vital” for the future of Wisconsin’s businesses and communities. She said inviting more people from outside the state would be especially helpful to maintain a “quality workforce.”

“This is a national issue, and we are pleased to help build a collaborative, statewide effort to engage young talent,” Braun said. “We believe our investment to expand this first-of-its-kind initiative will position Wisconsin as a national leader in millennial engagement, dynamic workforce and leadership development, and help establish the state as an ideal workplace destination for young workers.”

Foley said YP Week aims to engage young professionals in workforce development experiences through its events and programs. They also look to educate Wisconsin employers about good practices to help retain more employees, she said.

WEDC will play a key role in developing strategies to retain more employees, Foley said. Strategies include integrating young professionals into Wisconsin’s communities and involving university alumni in recruitment, attraction and retainment. 

“It’s a really exciting week and we’re very excited about how engaged everybody is throughout the state,” Foley said.