Schimel looks to stay ruling against right-to-work law

Judge who ruled against it is open to hearing appeals
Jason Chan

Just a few days after Dane County Judge William Foust ruled against the right-to-work law, Wisconsin Attorney General Brad Schimel filed a motion against the ruling Monday.

Judge strikes down Wisconsin right-to-work law

The right-to-work law allows people to be employed in a private sector firm without having to belong to a union and follow the union’s rules. It also allows workers in unionized workplaces to opt out of paying union dues.

Foust struck down the right-to-work law, calling it “unconstitutional” on April 8 and permanently prohibited all parts of the state from upholding any part of the law on April 15. He said in a statement that the law takes private property from labor unions without fair compensation.

Unions denied injunction in right-to-work lawsuit

But Foust said he would be open to hearing appeals for a stay from the law’s proponents.

According to a statement, Schimel looks to stay this ruling and has also appealed to Wisconsin Court of Appeals District III.

Schimel said in his motion that striking down the right-to-work law will have significant impacts on Wisconsin’s public and undermine state policies.

It’s official: Walker signs right-to-work into law

“Given that 25 others states have right-to-work laws and none of those have been declared unconstitutional, I am confident Wisconsin’s law will be upheld,” Schimel said. “Therefore, it’s imperative that Wisconsin’s right-to-work law remain in effect while on appeal.”

Foust and the Court of Appeals have not reviewed the appeal yet.