Wisconsin among leaders in nation for prescription safety

Because of a program presented by the national Drug Enforcement Administration, Wisconsinites will have the opportunity to dispose of their old prescription drugs safely and effectively later this month.

On Sept. 29, the DEA will hold a National Prescription Drug Take Back Day during which those who wish to turn in old or expired prescription drugs can do so from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., a statement said. In Wisconsin, the Department of Justice will collaborate with the DEA to ensure Wisconsinites have a chance to participate in the program as well.

During last year’s Take Back Day, Wisconsin ranked third in the donation of drugs to the program, according to David Spakowicz, eastern region director of Field Operations in the Wisconsin Department of Criminal Justice’s Division of Criminal Investigation. Wisconsin brought in 38,000 lbs. of prescription drugs, or approximately 13 tons, during last year’s event.

Wisconsin followed New York and California in the number of drugs donated, a ranking Spakowicz said was satisfactory, considering the population of the two states.

“Though we’ve done these for a couple of years, from just a Take Back Day in October of 2011, the amount of prescription drugs the state has collected has risen 26 percent,” said Spakowicz.

Spakowicz said the process of disposing the drugs is efficient and simple because 125 collection sites span the state run by different police departments. Once an individual takes the drugs to the site, police officers relay it to the Justice Department headquarters, where they are then taken by the National Guard to be destroyed.

Dana Brueck, spokesperson for the Wisconsin Department of Justice, said the program is crucial so people can dispose of their unwanted drugs in a conscientious way, as many of these drugs can be “illegally distributed” for profit.

“It is important to be mindful of where the drugs are going so they aren’t improperly disposed of and inflict harm to humans and the environment,” Brueck said.

As Take Back Day approaches, Brueck said she is excited to see what sort of success the program will have this time around and added she wants to “keep up the momentum.”